Costa Rica dive resort recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itr1416:
We're primarily concerned with having access to the beach and being close to a good diver operator. Thanks again.

http://www.villadelsueno.com/rates.htm They are a short walk to Diving Safari.

Restaurant on premises, in case you are too worn out to go elsewhere :) Specials every night. Sometimes in the evenings they have bands in the bar area. Two pools.

Ocotal is a very small beach and harbour. It has one restaurant/bar that is very good and right on the beach, the name has rooster in it.

There are also 3-4 hotels and maybe one AI.

Coco is 3-5 miles down the road and has lots of restaurants/bars and dive shops.

I think the wife and I are probably going to go with Bill Beard's Flamingo Beach Resort package. Seems to be reasonably priced and will include the diving. I can't seem to do a better price than that.

Ocotol has a diveshop on the premises and the staff is great. All dive sites are about a 15 minute ride unless you go further north. It rains a lot here in Oct and November... sorry to tell you that. I am in the states for Oct but know it can rain every day for hours very hard, but it is lush, green and beautiful. There are good restaurants in Coco. They have a sushi restaurant - Coco Palms, Papagayo Steakhouse, Papagyo Seafood, Papagayo Pura Vida (on the beach, good local food) and Dolce Vida has great italian. In Playa Hermosa there is Gingers restaurnt they serve Boccas (Tappas). Great food but very small portions for the price even if they are boccas. The deserts there are fantastic so save room (Mohitos are good also). Also in hermosa is a sports bar with fooseball (sp), large tv screens, air conditioning and cheap beer. Food has a 13% tax and a 10% gratuity included - feel free to leave the waiter/waitress more if your service is good. An average Costa Rican salary is $600 a month and they work 6 days a week, so any tips are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to this board. We dive mostly South-East Asia - North Sulawesi is amazing - but we want to try somewhere else next summer. Costa Rica is in the frame and we're learning about it. Thanks to this thread we contacted Diving Safari with a couple of questions - got really helpful replies - and I think we will be heading there next summer. And we're looking at Belize for Christmas (see other threads).

For those of you who are "experts" on Costa Rica - thanks for your help and patience in answering the questions.

TJ O'Dwyer:
I am heading to CR in Oct / Nov this year. Staying at Ocotal Beach Resort. Does anyone have info on this place and where to dive that time of the year?? Are there good resturants in the area??
Tks
I'm diving with Ocotal Beach Resort right now! I love all the people that work there, the divemaster, instructors, captains...........
their boats are great, they have all the scuba equipment you need available for rent, they go the best dive spots off the coast of Costa Rica, including Catalinas and Bat Island.

What more can I say? You're already lodging at the best 5 star Padi resort in all of Costa Rica!

Oh, and I hear June and July are the best times for diving. The past week there were a whole bunch of mantas and even some Orca. Unfortunately for me, I was at the dive shop studying instead of on the boat that saw the Orcas! :(

There are good restaurants here for sure. Good Italian, French, upscale spots and then (my favorite,) Jardin Tropical soda for my casados and gallo pinto con huevos.

Diving Cano Island in August for a day, and deciding what to bring camera wise.

Anyone dive there in August? I'm deciding between video (for the large stuff) or just a nice point and shoot underwater with a strobe.

Just not sure if whale sharks and humpbacks are passing through that area.

Dove there before, loved it, going back!

pelan-pelan:
Thanks to this thread we contacted Diving Safari with a couple of questions - got really helpful replies - and I think we will be heading there next summer.

How did I miss this... that is awesome. Have you thought about what to do on your last day? May I suggest some DeepSea Fishing with Hermosa? Mau and his new bride Lisa have just opened their new charter. Shoot them a pm, if u are interested. Board user id "Hermosa".

Has anyone been watching shark week on Discovery?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom