Costa Rica dive resort recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itr1416

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking to go on our honeymoon in a couple months and we'd like to go to Costa Rica. I've been researching and there are bunch of places available and I'd like to get some feedback from people who've been there and have had good experiences. We'd like to go to sometype of all inclusive resort that may have a dive package available or a local operator nearby. I've been recommended to the Barceló Langosta Beach in Tamarindo but the couple that stayed there did no diving. East coast or West coast? Thanks for your input!!

CR the diving best to worst:
Coco-Flamingo NW-catalinas islands
Drake Bay SW-Cano island
Manual Antonio-Uvita area-central Pacific
Puerto Viejo-caribbean side

CR is not really the place for AIs(there is only maybe 6 in the whole country). Its great fun to get out among the common and friendly locals, stay at beautiful small hotels and eat in local restaurants. Travel around and explore the lush and vibrant surroundings.

That said if you go south to Drake Bay and the Osa penninsula, it is common for meals to be included in your lodging price, cause your in the middle of the jungle and there are no restaurants to go to!

Please dont stay at the Diria in Tamarindo, they dump thier sewage right on the beach.

rexman24:
CR the diving best to worst:
Coco-Flamingo NW-catalinas islands
Drake Bay SW-Cano island
Manual Antonio-Uvita area-central Pacific
Puerto Viejo-caribbean side

CR is not really the place for AIs(there is only maybe 6 in the whole country). Its great fun to get out among the common and friendly locals, stay at beautiful small hotels and eat in local restaurants. Travel around and explore the lush and vibrant surroundings.

That said if you go south to Drake Bay and the Osa penninsula, it is common for meals to be included in your lodging price, cause your in the middle of the jungle and there are no restaurants to go to!

Please dont stay at the Diria in Tamarindo, they dump thier sewage right on the beach.
Thanks for the information. From what I've read so far everything seems to be pointing me in the direction that you are suggesting, Coco-Flamingo NW-catalinas islands. I wasn't aware that AIs places where rare. I thought they were scattered everywhere like Dominican Republic. That being said can you recommend a place that is nice, doesn't have to be the Ritz. We're primarily concerned with having access to the beach and being close to a good diver operator. Thanks again.

Thanks, I pulled some good information from there. I'll be in touch with them and see what recommendation they have in regards to hotel in the area.

itr1416:
Thanks, I pulled some good information from there. I'll be in touch with them and see what recommendation they have in regards to hotel in the area.

If you end up staying at Vill del Sueno - ask them about rate reduction if you pay cash :14: http://www.villadelsueno.com/rates.htm

Would HIGHLY recommend Flamingo Marina Resort www.flamingomarina.com/

The Flamingo Beach Hotel down the roead is pretty good but the former is nicer in my opinion. They are both very nice hotels but I preferred the Flamingo Marina because it's got a great layout, bigger rooms and has a competent dive operation next door. They are both reasonably priced at least when I was there. I was at both places last year (2006) around Feb. & March. Costa Rica is not the center of the diving universe but the water conditions can be pretty good at times. Use the dive center at Flamingo Marina in any event. Seemed to be a professionally operated outfit unlike the drunks and very recently certified (if at all) "scuba dudes" that work in some other dive shops around there.

They are both located in Playa Flamingo which is on the Pacific coast in Guanacaste Province and is about 45-60 minutes from the International Airport in Liberia. The town of Playa Flamingo is very quiet and "mellow" and has not become a tourist zoo-yet. One of the most pleasant places I've ever been and I've been to a lot of places. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. Any questions, let me know.

If you want more "action" like discos and such, Tamarindo to the south is supposed to be a nice area also but several people told me it's much more touristed. Not for me.

Sy

itr1416:
My wife and I are looking to go on our honeymoon in a couple months and we'd like to go to Costa Rica. I've been researching and there are bunch of places available and I'd like to get some feedback from people who've been there and have had good experiences. We'd like to go to sometype of all inclusive resort that may have a dive package available or a local operator nearby. I've been recommended to the Barceló Langosta Beach in Tamarindo but the couple that stayed there did no diving. East coast or West coast? Thanks for your input!!

The ops Ive used are Deep Blue in Coco, and Aqua Center dive in Flamingo.
Ive heard good things about Rich Coast in Coco too.
Flamingo is known to be full of expats. Coco and Tamarindo are visitor oriented.
Brasilito is just down the road from Flamingo and very small and nice.

I am heading to CR in Oct / Nov this year. Staying at Ocotal Beach Resort. Does anyone have info on this place and where to dive that time of the year?? Are there good resturants in the area??
Tks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom