Costa Rica - Best Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlgrimes

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Costa Rica near Coco. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to a reputable dive shop in that area. Also, what is generally considered the best diving in Costa Rica on the West Coast? Anything good near Coco?

Thanks for any information you can provide,

I always use Ocotal. Its close to our house. All the shops Ive used were good. You always have to do a local dive first.

I'm going to be in Costa Rica near Coco. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to a reputable dive shop in that area. Also, what is generally considered the best diving in Costa Rica on the West Coast? Anything good near Coco?

Thanks for any information you can provide,

When are you going?
You'll have to submit a trip report when you get back, which will hopefully be before I go in mid-October.

We just in Guanacaste last Feb/March. Found the diving to be very good. Differant from most Caribbean diving. No coral to speak of. mainly rock bottom. it reminded me a lot of diving in the northern portion of the Sea of Cortez around Guaymas/San Carlos area. The weather was perfect. Visiblity was in the 75 foot range. Huge schools of fish. lots of gray tip and bulls. I really enjoyed some of the shallower divers. several sea horses, clown shrimp were very cool. Also a hyperactive cushion urchin that had flourecent blue dots all over them. I actually have a DVD I burned of the dive. I take HD Video of most of my trips. If youd like I can send a copy. One of our dives we went on a search for a whaleshark spotted by another boat, but no joy. Next week we are trying Belze.

When are you going?
You'll have to submit a trip report when you get back, which will hopefully be before I go in mid-October.
I'm going Oct. 5-13.

We just in Guanacaste last Feb/March. Found the diving to be very good. Differant from most Caribbean diving. No coral to speak of. mainly rock bottom. it reminded me a lot of diving in the northern portion of the Sea of Cortez around Guaymas/San Carlos area. The weather was perfect. Visiblity was in the 75 foot range. Huge schools of fish. lots of gray tip and bulls. I really enjoyed some of the shallower divers. several sea horses, clown shrimp were very cool. Also a hyperactive cushion urchin that had flourecent blue dots all over them. I actually have a DVD I burned of the dive. I take HD Video of most of my trips. If youd like I can send a copy. One of our dives we went on a search for a whaleshark spotted by another boat, but no joy. Next week we are trying Belze.
I would love to see the dive if you could send the video or post it somewhere.

When we were in Coco we stayed at www.hotel-villa-flores.com, highly reccomend them. The owners, the Ryans, were excellent as was their staff.

As for diving, we dove with Rich Coast. They had a good on water operation but the office left a lot to be desired. It has since changed hands and if you do a search you will see mixed reports with the new owners.

It looks like Villa Flores has teamed up with www.resortdivers-cr.com. As for diving a day at each the Bats and Cats is required :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom