Costa Rica--Arribada or East Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaeger45

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey, all!

I'm planning a trip at the end of July to Costa Rica--mostly a terrestrial vacation with the family, but I'm trying to squeeze a few days of diving in. I still haven't decided on which side of the country (!) to dive, and have a few questions:

Anyone dive the Southeast/Cahuita area? Any impressions/thoughts/Dive Op recommendations?

Regarding the Nicoya Peninsula/Guanacaste area--is there enought terrestrial wildlife/sightseeing in the area to keep the nondivers happy? Anyone ever seen a poison dart frog in the area? (My info suggests they are all south and east.)

If we head to the northeast, I'd love to see the arribada--the mass nesting of Ridley sea turtles near Ostial. I'm not sure we'll be able to hit the exact phase of the lunar cycle to make it work, though--the best I can do is about August 2. Are we likely to see a few turtles, a bit early in the lunar cycle? Is the area safe at night? Are the roads (at present) passable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom