Costa Rica Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed at Ocotal in November. Bat Island was great! Lots of other big stuff in the area. The whales signing while you are in the water is pretty nice too.

Pricewise I might try RCD next time instead of Ocotal. Ocotal is a very nice resort otherwise.

Make sure you have a reservation for the dive boat if you do Ocotal. I almost could not dive one of the days since I did not have a dive reservation in advance.

Miss that is great info. I have a couple of questions not covered in your report.

1. What are the water temps in that area of CR? (I only wear a shorty)
2. Best time of the year to go for calm waters? (i get seasick walking in rain)

I may give CR another try in 09....I liked the Drake bay/Cano Island area and the water was 82 to 83 degrees....but vis about 20' max...lots of stuff in the water...Just could not see anything.

HI there,

There is a big discussion abouat the viz, but even for us it's hard to say. During the rainy season the viz is usually really good and so is the temp. That is basically the only time I dive with a 3mm shorty. The rest of the year I dive with a 3 mm long and sometimes a hooded vest, but I do have to say it's a personal thing, if you get cold really fast or not because Martin (instructor) dives with ashorty all year round.
This time of the year the temp changes almost every day, we had 82 a view days ago but we also had 70 brrrrrrrr.
The local dive sites are only about 20 minutes away. and usually the ocean is not so rough.
We never have divers with seasickness on teh local dives, I think it is also due to the fact that we have atrimaran, so it's pretty stable on the water.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

HI there,

There is a big discussion abouat the viz, but even for us it's hard to say. During the rainy season the viz is usually really good and so is the temp. That is basically the only time I dive with a 3mm shorty. The rest of the year I dive with a 3 mm long and sometimes a hooded vest, but I do have to say it's a personal thing, if you get cold really fast or not because Martin (instructor) dives with ashorty all year round.
This time of the year the temp changes almost every day, we had 82 a view days ago but we also had 70 brrrrrrrr.
The local dive sites are only about 20 minutes away. and usually the ocean is not so rough.
We never have divers with seasickness on teh local dives, I think it is also due to the fact that we have atrimaran, so it's pretty stable on the water.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

RCD-The one reason I have not come back down to CR is I cannot get an answer as to the best time of the year to go for Vis, Calm Waters and warm waters. I hear up in the Catalina's you have major thermoclines and Vis is always a issue. I do realize you have lots of stuff in the waters but if I have to wear a 5mm and cannot see anything....I head to Indo-Pacific region. When I went to Cano, I was told December was best for all three. Two out of three were correct....But you could not see anything....thus a waste of time and money other than the land tours.

I know at any time things can change but I am looking for generally best time for all three things that can fall in place.

Back
Top Bottom