Costa Maya Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be on a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise in late march that stops at Roatan, Belize City and Costa Maya.
I can dive in one port maybe two (wife doesn't dive and I'm not up for a six hour trip in Belize City.)

What is the diving like in Costa Maya is it simalar to Coz or Roatan? I have been diving in Coz and Bonaire and prefered the diving in Coz, I like the BIG coral and swim throughs of Cozumel.

Any information would be appreciated.

Claymore - If you get the chance, dive in the Costa Maya. I believe you will enjoy it if you book with Dreamtime Dive or if you make arrangements with Selma N. of Nomad Divers. ( see www dot nomaddivers dot com]

Ever since I got certified in 2000 in Huatulco I dreamed of diving Banco Chinchorro (almost directly east of Majahual). In 2008 I took advantage of a special Dreamtime had for an unlimited diving package. Although I did not get the opportunity to dive Chinchorro on that trip (high winds, big waves make the 2+ hr. trip from Xcalak a little "rough") I returned in 2009 (dove Chinchorro!!) and have another trip planned for this July.

The shops that cater to the cruise ships tend to dive sites close to the new lighthouse/crusie ship dock and slightly south of "downtown" Majahual. (see dive sites on Nomad's website).

Of these "northern" sites, my favorite is Escalones (on the ocean side; in 2007 Hurricane Dean covered the shallower land side with sand and other debris from the beaches). The top of Escalones is about 40 ft and the "wall" of coral slants sharply down to a sandy bottom of about 90 or 100 feet (I never felt I needed to go to the bottom). You could spend an hour at 60 feet casually swimming and poking through things and not see the entire site.

Like Cozumel, there are many varieties of hard and soft corals, sea fans and other life that resides on the coral mounds. There are plenty of finger grooves and sand chutes to explore and look for critters. In July we spotted turtles on almost every dive as well as sleeping nurse sharks, morays, large schools of grunts, snapper and porkfish and lobsters.

I prefer diving in Costa Maya to diving in Pto Morelos, Playa del Carmen or Cozumel (I've made multiple trips to Czm, PdC, PM, & Akumal between 2000 and 2007). If you dive with an independent instructor/dive guide like Selma of Nomad Divers you might get the opportunity to do leisurely dives over reefs much further south that are less frequented by the shops closer to downtown. These are what the reefs of Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen and other "towns" to the north looked like before they were trampled, dredged, overfished, starved or suffocated.

Hope this helps you make your decision...

You will find Dreamtimes is primarily a 'cruise ship' operator as they have arrangements with some of the cruise line.

Some of the others to check out -
Blue Ocean Safari
Tortuga Azul
Zona de buceo

Not familar with Nomad

By far the best diving is to the south - from km5 south. However most dive operator will only go in the area of the town -still not bad.

You will find Dreamtimes is primarily a 'cruise ship' operator as they have arrangements with some of the cruise line.

Some of the others to check out -
Blue Ocean Safari
Tortuga Azul
Zona de buceo

Not familar with Nomad

By far the best diving is to the south - from km5 south. However most dive operator will only go in the area of the town -still not bad.
Contently forgot the only dive op in the prime diving area
Maya Palms Resort
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/337487-mahahual-costa-maya-options.html
Costa Maya Scuba Diving and Snorkel in Mahahual, Mexico: Maya Palms Resort

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom