Cost to do OW cert in AC/CC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyro_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So work just asked me to take vacation at the end of this month so I booked myself a flight to belize and will be there for a week and half starting march 1st.

I have been considering going to get my OW cert since I did a discovery dive back in dec while in Cuba.

The question I have right now is what kind of average cost would I be looking at to do the whole cet in belize. Most likely in AC or CC

Thanks

Not sure of current cost everywhere - others can reply. But be careful that you compare like with like. Belize Dive Connection (at Sunbreeze Hotel) includes a new PADI manual that you keep and take away with you (a PADI requirement often breached - separate cost maybe US$40), GST (sales tax at 12.5%), park fees for course dives you do in our local marine park, and equipment for those dives. They charge US$445, there are no extras, and they'll do a good job to full international standards.

Another SP operation I'd strongly recommend is Island Divers, on the dock of the Holiday Hotel. They will also do a good job and also supply a manual & equipment. Their price (with no extras) is US$425.

There are of course other SP operations. I've been hearing good reports of Ecologic Divers but I have no first-hand experience of them. Perhaps the biggest local operation is Amigos del Mar.

On Caye Caulker there are several operations, but I'd recommend going with Belize Diving Services, who operate to high standards. They are now the only technical diving operation in the country - I closed mine before they "went tech" under new owners. I wouldn't go with any of the other operations there.

You do just have time to do the classroom work before you come down. That's usually by registering for "eLearning" at the PADI website (there is another route). Overall it works out more expensive, but it does mean less studying here when you'd rather be partying! Assuming you do it all here, reckon on three full days and two evenings till you're certified Open Water.

If you need advice on accommodation on Ambergris Caye come back here. I don't know the accommodation on Caye Caulker well enough to help, but BDS will be able to advise.

If you come to San Pedro please bring a bottle of real maple syrup!

Thanks for the great info. At this point I am not sure which place I will be staying at but I am sure regardless we could work out something to get you some maple syrup

Guessing that cost is a factor for you, there is more cheap accommodation on Caye Caulker than on Ambergris Caye, but the cheapest of all decent accommodation is in fact in San Pedro. Come to San Pedro (I'm using "San Pedro" semi-interchangeably with "Ambergris Caye") if you want lots of bars/people/action (which you can of course avoid). Go to Caye Caulker for an extremely quiet life. If you come by yourself you'll have more fun at Pedro's Inn in San Pedro than in most cheap hotels.

The cost is somewhat of a factor since I really was not planing on taking this vacation. A week ago I did not even know I would be taking the time off. But still willing to pay for quality instruction if I do it.

More a case of if I have to take a week of I might as well do something. So just kinda trying to work this out as much as possible this weekend.

And ya I will be traveling solo. Thanks for the insite and ideas for place to stay

Have a good trip! Please let us know which shop you pick and how it goes with your class.

Just finished doing my OW cert with belize diving service on caulker. They were great to work with and the instructor TJ was awesome. Would deff recommend them.

Did the elearning through sdi.

The confined water dives were done off their dock then we went to turneff north the first two dives and then the barrier off San Pedro for the second two

Already got dives lined up for tommorow and Friday with them :)

You're staying on Caye Caulker?

If you don't mind, a trip report afterwards with topside photos would be much appreciated here. We don't get many, if any, trip reports from Caye Caulker.

Ya I am staying at the miramar hotel on caulker right now

Will see what I can do about a trip report

Anything in particular you are looking to find out about

Nothing in particular but everything in general. And as many topside photos as possible. Like I said, not much is posted here about Caye Caulker.

No hurry. Wait till your home.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom