Cost of TX day trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R

redacted

Why are day trips on the TX coast so much more expensive (more than twice the cost) than day trips off the FL coast? I'm sure the TX dives are running out about 25 miles further but that shou7ldn't double the price.

TwoBitTxn:
Supply and demand

Maybe. But I think both are low on the TX coast. Are high prices keeping the demand low while the lack of suppliers keeps the price high? I must have nodded off in that part of ECON 101.

It's possible that when hurricane Rita took out most of the Southeast TX charter fleet that prices rose in other locations due to demand. Before the hurricane you could get a 2 tank trip for $125 out of Sabine and that was an average trip of 50-75 miles offshore. You know how it is, once someone finds out they can charge more for a product or service, they aren't likely to drop their prices again. *cough*oil companies*cough*

awap:
Why are day trips on the TX coast so much more expensive (more than twice the cost) than day trips off the FL coast? I'm sure the TX dives are running out about 25 miles further but that shou7ldn't double the price.

Fuel is the biggest expense item so it accounts for much of the difference. Plus demand is lower so boats tend to be six-packs (except FG trips). If someone could reliably fill a boat carrying 12 to 15 people they could probably do rig trips for $100 or so.

Also consider that the longer distance means you can't get in two charters per day. The Keys and Florida East Coast boats run morning and afternoon charters.

It's the distance out and back - big difference in costs for a 60 mile round Texas Gulf trip versus a 15 mile round trip off SE Florida; and Texas charters can only make one run per day....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom