Corrosion on o-ring gland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_ledford

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I bought a set of used LP95 doubles last year with a fresh hydro and VIP. I just broke them down to Vip again and one of the tanks has some corrosion on the neck o-ring sealing surface.

They rebuilt fine and are not leaking, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about the corrosion. It's not so significant it won't pass VIP (clearly), but I'm concerned about the roughness interfering with a good seal. I know there are cleaning tools for al tanks (O-Ring Gland Cleaning Tool - Cylinder Training Services), but is there something for angled sealing surfaces in steel tanks?

Usually a quick wipe with a scotchbrite pad is all it takes to knock the surface rust off. If it isn't leaking, it isn't bad enough to need more than that.

That is a crush seal. It should seal even over flash rust. Stainless steel wool will remove any flash rust, but be sure not to cross the sealing surface even at a low angle which can cause a leak path. Better yet would be to invert the tank and wipe the surface with a phosphoric acid containing cleaner, let it set a few minutes and then rinse clean the surface. Dry immediately or the rust returns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom