Corroded valve? - need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajowers72

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am sooo new to all this but was using my dad's Oceanic regulator this weekend and had a slight problem. I've used it in the past without incident and love it (I haven't bought any of my own gear yet) Anyway, it was leaking from the low pressure inflator valve and the instructor told me it was the shradder (sp?) valve that was corroded. What do we do about that? This is probably a really stupid question but I'm so new and don't have a clue.

I will assume that the hose leaks when it is not on the BC.

The valve is essentially the same as is used in a tire. You could take it out and clean it, but it is further in to the connector then a standard tire valve is and you may need to DIY a valve wrench to get it. If I have a leaking inflator but if the hose is old, I would suggest that you just get a new inflator hose and it might be a good idea to replace all of the hoses depending on how old they are.

If it leaks when on the BC, there is a small O-ring up in the connector that you can replace, but it is a pain in the A to get out and put a new one in. Again the easy solution is a new hose.

IF it's the schradervalve,replace it.depending on the inflators.With the new Oceanic reliance inflators you have to replace the whole unit,on the older ones just the valve.
That said it's not very likely that it is the valve, but just the O-ring in the inflator hose.
And yes there id one in there :D just take a needle and pull it out.Get a new O-ring and replace.

thanks so much to all of you. i took it in to a local dive shop and the owner is just going to service the whole thing. needed it anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom