Corrective mask vs gauge readers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know anything about contacts but I seem to recall that there is an issue with losing them if you flood/lose your mask and have to open your eyes in water to see what’s going on?

It’s possible I guess though I have never experienced it and don’t want to. But the consequences of losing my contacts vs loosing my prescription mask will be the same - I won’t be able to see very much! So in that sense it’s not a disadvantage vs a prescription mask.

I don’t know anything about contacts but I seem to recall that there is an issue with losing them if you flood/lose your mask and have to open your eyes in water to see what’s going on?
I use daily contacts which cost me about $1 per pair per day. I have spares in my dive kit.

I'm not so blind that I couldn't function underwater if I lost them.

Are you getting transition lenses, as in indoor/outdoor shading?

I just got my first glasses in 45 years, and they're progressive lenses, so different focal lengths up and down the lenses. They do take some getting used to. It bugs me that the focus also changes side to side which means if I'm focused straight ahead and turn my head a little I lose the focus.

I can deal with the left/right contacts on land alright, but it's not ideal. For close work it helps to have the perspective of two eyes. For that reason I mostly use the contacts for diving, although I'm still struggling a little to read the small print on my DC.
They came in today, and I just picked them up. They are "progressive" but don't have the indoor/outdoor shading stuff. Not sure I love them, we'll see how it goes I guess.

My wife just closes her eyes when clearing the mask. It helps if you have a good fitting mask so you don't have to clear it very often. Hers are disposable (about once a month she pitches them) so it wouldn't be the end of the world if she lost them.

Interesting approach. Correct for the presbyopia “half-way” so can see the gauges better but not too much so as to impair distance too much. I might try this. Thanks!

Another thought...I was prescribed monovision contact lenses, where left strong eye was properly corrected for distance vision and weaker right eye was properly corrected for reading. It’s not perfect by any means but it works in the overall scheme of things. I suppose that could also work in a mask too!

That's basically what I do. My left eye is dominant for distance vision (+1.75, I think). I don't require correction for close vision out of the water (conversely, if I was wearing contacts in both eyes for distance, I'd need reading glasses!). While diving, I wear a contact in my left eye only. This monovision is adequate for far/near vision like finding my way to the marina, reading the fine print on a waiver-of-all-worldy-rights, assembling gear, finding the water, and reading gauges. It's a compromise, but it works for me so far.

It can definitely tell. I don't think my brain is good. I might have drain bamage.

I'll see your drain bramage and raise you being unable to close just the right eye. Can do it with the left, really struggle on the other side. And left is my good eye now. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom