Corrective mask vs gauge readers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
At 57 years of age I have been using reading glasses for the last 10 years but otherwise my vision (beyond 3 feet) is still reasonably good and I use +1.5 off-the-shelf for most computer use or book reading.
When diving I have found that my gauges, camera monitor and even the reef close up are all a bit fuzzy, but I just sort of got used to squinting at things and accepting that things don’t look sharp!
To remedy this I have tried various types of gauge reader lens and masks, most on the market in fact and never really got a satisfactory solution- gauges and handsets are still a PITA to see really clearly.
So, recently I wondered if maybe I should go for a mask with a full corrective lens instead of a gauge reader. After playing around with several strength glasse lenses in my mask I purchased (at the very reasonable price of around $60) a Deep Sea Clarity mask with +1.00 lenses.
Wow.....I cannot believe how clear everything looks under the water now! The +1.00 strength is a compromise that allows me to see my gauges/ handset clearly and also works great out to a range of about 40 feet, beyond which everything starts to slightly and gradually go mount of focus. As it turns out this is not an issue underwater- even when the viz is 100 ft.
So if your struggling with gauge readers and have typical boomer vision like I do consider a full corrective lens mask in the +1.00 or +1.50 range and see what happens.

Interesting approach. Correct for the presbyopia “half-way” so can see the gauges better but not too much so as to impair distance too much. I might try this. Thanks!

Another thought...I was prescribed monovision contact lenses, where left strong eye was properly corrected for distance vision and weaker right eye was properly corrected for reading. It’s not perfect by any means but it works in the overall scheme of things. I suppose that could also work in a mask too!

I second the contacts option. My wife wears glasses, and after spending a tidy sum buying the fancy prescription masks she decided that contacts are far better. With contacts, she can still see well on the boat :)

I second the contacts option. My wife wears glasses, and after spending a tidy sum buying the fancy prescription masks she decided that contacts are far better. With contacts, she can still see well on the boat :)
This is what I did.

My first mask was a Sherwood gauge reader, but it doesn't fit well, and I can only use one eye at a time up close due to the wide spacing of the magnifying lenses. And the readers are useless for looking at something two feet in front of my face.

I got fitted for daily contacts - left eye distant, right eye reading, and use them with my sweet DGX frameless mask.

Recently I realized that the distance eye is focused much further out than is helpful underwater. It's great for driving, not diving. So I'm going to call my optometrist and ask for an alternative left eye prescription with a focal point of maybe 10-20 feet. I figure nothing with be in sharp focus further than that underwater.

I'm open to suggestions about the alternative focal length.

Was learning to switch eyes difficult? My first ever pair of glasses arrives next week, I'm a little concerned about the "transitions".

Was learning to switch eyes difficult? My first ever pair of glasses arrives next week, I'm a little concerned about the "transitions".
Are you getting transition lenses, as in indoor/outdoor shading?

I just got my first glasses in 45 years, and they're progressive lenses, so different focal lengths up and down the lenses. They do take some getting used to. It bugs me that the focus also changes side to side which means if I'm focused straight ahead and turn my head a little I lose the focus.

I can deal with the left/right contacts on land alright, but it's not ideal. For close work it helps to have the perspective of two eyes. For that reason I mostly use the contacts for diving, although I'm still struggling a little to read the small print on my DC.

You don’t make an obvious “switch”. I was told by doc your brain compensates for you. It still bothers me some times cause I can really tell the difference between the 2 eyes.

I have to agree that it’s not perfect, and definitely a compromise. But depending on the alternatives, it might be the “better” option. I hate glasses for various practical reasons so I put up with the monovision contacts.

You don’t make an obvious “switch”. I was told by doc your brain compensates for you. It still bothers me some times cause I can really tell the difference between the 2 eyes.
It can definitely tell. I don't think my brain is good. I might have drain bamage.

It can definitely tell. I don't think my brain is good. I might have drain bamage.

Lol no you don’t have brain damage!

I can definitely tell as well and it bothers me a little some days and a lot on other days.

But because I hate glasses I put up with it.

I don’t know anything about contacts but I seem to recall that there is an issue with losing them if you flood/lose your mask and have to open your eyes in water to see what’s going on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom