Corps announces public meetings for Lake Okeechobee Watershed study

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives

Corps announces public meetings for Lake Okeechobee Watershed study

From Corps announces public meetings for Lake Okeechobee Watershed study > Jacksonville District > Jacksonville District News Releases

180706-A-CE999-052.JPG

Tuesday, July 31, 2018
Lee County Mosquito and Hyacinth Control Districts
15191 Homestead Road
Lehigh Acres, FL 33971

Wednesday, August 1, 2018
Indian River State College
Wolf High-Technology Center
2400 SE Salerno Road
Stuart, FL 34997

Thursday, August 2, 2018
Indian River State College
Williamson Conference and Education Center
2229 NW 9th Avenue
Okeechobee, FL 34972

If you're tired of all the green slime poisoning our waters, both fresh and salt, you'll want to attend one of these.

I really appreciate the fact they scheduled them from 6-8pm so working folk can attend. I am looking into adjusting my schedule to see if I can make it to one (I usually work until 7pm).

Thank you for posting!

I would love to have attended the one in Lee County but we are out of town this week visiting family up north. However, thanks for sharing the details Pete! We have been following the issue closely being Lee County residents.

We can’t read that in the EU.

Anyway, won’t all the water around Florida have joined up soon?
Absolutely not. The Gulf has an internal circuit as well as an outlet. The problem is that the freshwater algae does weird stuff when it hits salt water. Green lawns and an increasingly unregulated Agriculture, like Big Sugar, are sending all sorts of nitrates and other fertilizers into our waterways via runoff. The past year and a half have been drenching for us. That causes algae blooms and fish kills which provide even more "food" for the green crud. Our current Governor has done his level best to remove regulations by eliminating those who would enforce them. Oh yeah, they're still on the books, but he eliminated a huge number of regulatory personnel via his Ag Chief, Putnam. They think they're doing an incredible job reducing the size of government: just ask them.

I watched most of the live feed of today's ACOE public meeting in Cape Coral. Brutal. Homeowners and tourism based businesses here in SWFL are rightly PISSED. Unfortunately the Corp often gets stuck in the middle when they are simply following marching orders made by others and dealing with the funding and rules they are given. Those that own this mess rarely appear up front in public events ... No Governor, No Head of Agriculture, No Senators. There were local politicians and some representatives but they are trying to bring this to the attention of the decision makers. The sad thing is that Gov Scott and Ag Chief Putnam truly seem to be clueless that their gutting of clean water regulations and regulatory oversight agencies are a huge contributor to this mess. Or worse ... they don't care and are fine trashing our environment.

they don't care and are fine trashing our environment.
For those with short memories, the first order of business for Scott was to close all of the State Parks. There was such an uproar that he back pedaled that so quickly that it made our heads spin. I'm saddened to say that I voted for him that time.

For those with short memories, the first order of business for Scott was to close all of the State Parks. There was such an uproar that he back pedaled that so quickly that it made our heads spin. I'm saddened to say that I voted for him that time.

We just moved to Florida in 2016 so don't know much of the history. Close all of the state parks ... WOW! That is absolutely appalling. What was the plan ... to sell the land to his millionaire/billionaire developer buddies to do something "useful" with the land?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom