CoronaVirus Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I have a planned dive trip with my 16 year old daughter to the Philippines in June. I have to make my final payment for the trip on March 1st. I am getting concerned about the Coronavirus affecting my trip. If the virus becomes widespread in Philippines, I may be uncomfortable going on my trip, particularly with my only daughter! On the other hand, maybe the Coronavirus outbreak will be long over by June and it won't be an issue.

Standard trip insurance won't cover me if I cancel the trip because of fear of contracting the Coronavirus. "Cancel for any reason" insurance is available, but is expensive (about 10% the cost of the trip), and may only reimburse 50-75% of the trip's cost.

Any thoughts on my Dilemma? I still have 2 weeks to cancel the whole trip without financial penalty.

Thanks for the advice!

Doug

As I understand, the confirmed virus cases here are only from a couple of people who came from Ground Zero and their direct contacts. Those people have been in isolation since, and those they've had contact with are being very closely monitored.... At this point, I have my doubts of it becoming wide spread here based on the quick reaction by Officials...

What are of PH are you planning your trip?

Many flight routes between the Philippines involve a connecting flight in Hong Kong, China or Taiwan. There will be no flights from these places to Manila until at least 29 Feb and if the outbreak is not considered contained by then, it will go longer.

Travel ban has been extended a month. There aren new cases in the Philippines, just as likely any country gets infected. The fear of the virus is really affecting the dive industry over here, also how a lot of business rely on divers from China, not just the Chinese but the expats living there also.

Id say continue with your holiday as planned, book online via Agoda Expedia etc, as most have policies that if you cancel your booking due to an outbreak etc you get full refund, same as most flights. Try and support the Philippines Dive business by not cancelling your booking due to fear and speculation.

Maybe slightly biased as I have a dive business here.....

Don't go; cancel (or leave your daughter at home, and go by yourself. LOL). You would never forgive yourself if your daughter got ill in the Philippines. I'm a parent of a 16 year old diver too. Instead, dive the Mexican cenotes with your daughter (Under the Jungle diving)!

However, I'm diving in the Philippines in March; hotels, flights and diving are booked. When I am in the Philippines, I will employ basic precautions like thoroughly washing my hands with soap and water, I will wear a mask (diving - LOL), and other things one can do to stay healthy when travelling.

This virus is likely to reach far and wide; it is only a matter of time when it is coming to a door nob near you! With this in mind, I am diving my travel plans in less than 2 short months.

IMO the most dangerous place will be inside the plane. Wipe everything down and wear a mask and maybe gloves too.

It will be “gone” like the common cold is “gone” when really, it will becomes an established seasonal virus, meaning it will “come back” in the fall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom