Coronavirus and how the cruise ship crumbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This cruise dumpster has been anchored here for weeks. I have no idea what's going on with it.
SIPprincessR.jpg

Don't you just love that boat?

This cruise dumpster has been anchored here for weeks. I have no idea what's going on with it.
View attachment 577996

When I was in Cabo the week of March 14-21 there was a Holland America ship anchored in the harbor. Scuttlebutt was they had no passengers aboard and were asking permission to stay at anchor there for a two-week quarantine period; presumably that way they could say afterwards they had ruled out any active cases onboard.

Picked up some Royal Caribbean bonds (short term, Nov call) a couple weeks ago. The yield was much better than I could get on other investment grade bonds and RC has the cash reserves to service them.

As a result, I have been watching RC stock and trying to read the tea leaves. Most investors don't seem to think this is the death knell of the cruise industry. The current stock prices don't reflect an industry that will be going away. From my bit of digging, I think the floor for RC stock will be in the $15 range. This is based on a years worth of virtually no revenue.

Don't like cruise ships and will never willingly board one. That being said, I won't let my personal feelings on them get in the way of making money.

Futures are a zero sum game and I don't play there. Too old to gamble and right now I look like a financial genius. We started 2020 at 97% in bonds.

Best guess is related to Carnival's last stock offering generating $8 a share. Just so much uncertainty in the entire travel industry right now.

I was just using RC to illustrate that while the sector is beat to sh@t with worse to come, we aren't in the liquidate price range just yet.

In Australia it appears the state of NSW is bringing a criminal investigation against carnival cruises for knowingly bringing Covid-19 into the state.
**** appears to be hitting the fan for carnival. 10 people have died from the ship Ruby Princess already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom