Coron v Subic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like some advice from the local, helpful Philippine divers. I've been researching some previous leads I got here regarding a trip this winter. Can anyone weigh in on beach/water conditions for Coron and Subic? I'm hoping to take quite a bit of training and want to do some wreck diving. I've got some info on two pretty serious shops; one in Coron and one in Subic.
I'll be joined by my gf for a few days and would like to show her some wonderful, tropical diving (and I want my training and wrecks). She'll only have four days, so that gives her about two days of diving, one of which should be light and end early.
Advice? Suggestions? Observations?
Thanks

i haven't done subic yet but have done coron - so 1 vote coron

i'm thinking: given # of wreck selections + other tropical diving/ touring (for the GF) then coron would beat subic hands down

i'm not sure about the extent of dive training in coron vs. subic w/c has better access to things such as gasses and equipment

Jag

From my experinces I would pick Coron for sure. I have spent about a month in Coron and only a few days in Subic so I can't make the best observations on Subic. I hope to go back to both places later this year and maybe get a better feel for the diving in Subic. I'm curious which shops you are considering?

Regarding water conditions, I wouldn't expect either place tol have very good vis. I had on average 20-30 ft vis in Subic vs 10-20 ft in Coron. If I remember correctly, water temps were in the mid to upper 70's F in Oct-Nov. I was happy that I had my 5 mil wetsuit. Coron easily wins for beaches, although Coron town itself doesn't have a beach the islands around are beautiful with lots of nice beaches that can be visited. Subic Bay is nice but the area is a lot more developed and so for me was not nearly as attractive in comparison.

I took my gf to Coron last year for open water certification and she loved it. We also took a day to go to Sangat island which has a reserve with giraffes and zebras running around which I enjoyed more than I expected, and there are some nice hot springs close to Coron town. From what I have seen in Subic I don't think she would have enjoyed staying there as much.

2 votes Coron:14:

Coron for me.

I agree with Kupu's observations about vis and temp. I went to Coron 2 mos. ago and just came from Subic yesterday and Coron has more to offer in terms of the number of wrecks. The unique dives at Gunther's Cathedral and Barracuda Lake also make Coron a better choice IMO.

fishybenjie:
Coron for me.

I agree with Kupu's observations about vis and temp. I went to Coron 2 mos. ago and just came from Subic yesterday and Coron has more to offer in terms of the number of wrecks. The unique dives at Gunther's Cathedral and Barracuda Lake also make Coron a better choice IMO.
yeah, she'll definitely enjoy gunther's cathedral and barracuda lake rikraeder :thumbs-up

had a great time playing with the thermocline in the lake :)

Gunthers looks pretty cool. I think, due to transportation considerations, she'll be stuck at Cebu unless she finaggles some more time off. I'm really split between Coron and Subic for my training though.

Also: Big thanks to all you Philippine Divers and others who've helped me so much for planning next week in Cebu and my upcoming Winter Training period (referenced above). I'm so sorry I won't be able to hook up with you all in Southern Leyte this winter. Sounds like a blast. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom