Coron Town, Busuanga Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlloyd

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for anyone who has been here in the Philippines. Any comments on the area?

I went there about 5 years ago, great wreck diving, loads of sunken Japanese warships, only did the wrecks so I can't comment on other dives but did see quite a few big fish, also saw dolphin's jumping at the surface while eating lunch which was good. I think there is a cave to dive in there as well. Coron is/was very underdeveloped, most accomodation was pretty basic and the majority was on stilts over the sea, nice quiet place though, only local Karaoke for entertainment! Almost all people staying there were divers. But as I say this was 5 years ago.

I was in Coron twice last year and it has not changed much since Baz was there. Make sure you take a good book for night time entertainment.

There are a couple of diver operations now located away from Coron town itself. Discovery Divers which used to be on a rickety pier in town now has a resort on an island just outside of the town. Sangat Island Resort is on Tangat island and is located very near several of the wrecks.

My experience diving Coron is if you like wrecks then its a good place to go, but that is the only reason to go. Don't go to Coron expecting Chuuk (Truk), there are vitrually no artifacts on the ships as everything, I mean everything, has been salvaged. There is very little coral or fish on the wrecks plus the viz is atrocious.

Also Coron has very few reefs to dive if you are looking for something other than wrecks. Tthere are plenty of good reefs in the Philippines, but not around Coron.

update on a really old (years old) post. there are actually there are good dive sites around coron with amazing coral cover. they're just not advertised because it's known as a wreck diving place. plus the good sites are normally near the pearl farms. :) ask around. they'll know the sites i'm talking about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom