Core Values in the Dive Industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubafroo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Parden me if this is not the correct forum to start this thread.

I am working on a business plan and trying to get my head around if there is a concerted direction in CORE VALUES, PURPOSE, and VISION within the dive industry.

Like to hear back from others on what they think about the dive industry's:

• CORE VALUES
    [*]CORE PURPOSE
    [*]CORE VISION

Also does the dive industry have a set of principles that we all strive to live by?

This is an extraordinarily fragmented business, comprised, for the most part, by small, mom and pop shops run by the entire spectrum of businesspeople. To my knowledge, there is not a specific set of principles endorsed by the industry (again, due to fragmentation not only at the shop level but extending into the certification agencies).

However, don't let that stop you from holding to the highest standards and expectations of yourself and your staff. You'll be among the cream of the crop if you do so.

In our case, our goal is to build the industry as a whole, thereby benefitting all those involved from the newbie student to the most grizzled veterans (some of us are rather grizzly) in the scuba world. If your purpose is to simply support yourself and your shop, you can do that...if you work hard and maintain your standards. If you want to build a successful business that is worth something in the end, you can do that too, if you look at the big picture.

If you want to write a vision statement, you certainly can. It's a good thing to do and serves to keep you and your staff on track while telling the world what your goals and ideals are. That's commendable.

I would submit that values and purpose are constants thoughout the business world and that businesspeople interpret and adhere to them at different levels. My experience has been that the highest values and ethics create an atmosphere that is purpose-driven and are the greatest contributors to growth and longevity (and profit, which should be a major part of your purpose).

These of course, are just my opinions but, to answer your question, I've never seen what you're asking for published.

Here's an interesting thought for all of us:

Various certifying agency market research indicates that something in the order of 30% of the general population is intersted in trying scuba. Less than one percent actually does so. We have work to do, there is a lot of space in which to work and, if we can all work together to improve those numbers, we'll all reap the results--particularly if we maintain high standards and ethics (values) along the way.

I do like your question and look forward to other opinions and corrections to my comments. My best wishes for your spectacular success!

Mark
DiVentures Omaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom