Question Cordless Primary Light: Apeks Luna ADV vs Bigblue TL5200P

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrespp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So I am looking for a new primary light. I am a rebreather diver with dpv, no caves but wrecks w/o penetration, my tipical dive is 2-3 hours, max depth 65 meters, deco from 30 minutes to 1 hour-ish in open waters. I either use the light with a goodman handle or attach it to the dpv front.

The Apeks is about 550 euro, and the BigBlue is 530 euro.

This is what ChatGPT tells about these two:

Apeks Luna ADV 3600:

Offers up to 3600 lumens with battery life that varies depending on the mode selected, reaching up to 36 hours on low intensity settings.
It has 6 preset programs that allow you to adjust intensity and duration, ideal for technical dives or extended explorations.
It comes with a Goodman handle for hands-free use and is rechargeable via USB, without the need to open the bulb, minimizing the risk of leaks.

BigBlue TL5200P:

Produces a more intense light with 5200 lumens and a 10-degree beam angle, making it ideal for cave diving or low visibility conditions.
It has 4 power levels and an SOS function, with run times ranging from 2 hours at maximum power to 20 hours at the lowest setting.
It is more compact, built in corrosion resistant aluminum alloy and has a maximum dive depth of 150 meters. Includes a Goodman handle and other accessories for flexibility.

Comparison
If you need more versatility in setup and longer run times, the Apeks Luna ADV 3600 is an excellent choice.
If you're looking for maximum light output and more rugged construction for dives in demanding technical environments, the BigBlue TL5200P might be a better fit.

I am open to other suggestions under 600 euro, but please beware that I am in Spain, so getting items from outside the EU area could be a bit challenging to me.

Between these two, the Apeks -- mainly because I detest dishonest/misleading marketing. BigBlue has a reputation for drastically overstating their output as well as the fact it quickly tails off from the initial value. This is a chart of measured output for a BigBlue TL2800P, specced at 2800 lumens:
TL2800P Lumens.png

Not only is the peak overstated by about 25%, the realistic/average useful output is about 1500 lumens -- about half the spec value. Runtime is also overstated.

I haven't seen a test for the TL5200P, but I would expect it would fail to meet specs in a similar fashion.

In fairness, I haven't seen tests for Apeks either, but I've not heard even hints of similar shortcomings. Just my opinion, so take it as you will.

Inquis, thank you a lot! Also detest dishonest marketing, so BB is a big no go now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom