Coral spawn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen it several times out at Molokini in May. Very cool! Will be there May 25-June 3 and hoping it will still be happening.

The last time I was at Ulua the pebble collector urchins were spawning and I have been at the St. Anthony when something was spawning so much the bottom 20 feet looked blurry, both really cool events, but no mantas showed up :(

I have been at the St. Anthony when something was spawning so much the bottom 20 feet looked blurry, <emphasis added.>
I was out at the backwall Molokini with Mike Severns and towards the end of the dive I noticed the visibility suddenly getting worse. Watching really closely, I saw the reef give off a little smokelike puff. Then another, and another. Pauline was up in the water column and off the wall a ways monitoring some divers that were doing a safety stop and getting picked up. When she returned I pointed out the spawning. She throws a shaka and continues. I kept watching very, very closely trying to figure out what species of coral was spawning. But first the puffs were next to one type of coral, then another, then another. It didn't make any sense at all!

Back on the boat Pauline explained that it wasn't coral, but instead the tiny clams found everywhere on the reef that were spawning. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom