Coral Spawn--Did it Already Happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I see that several Keys ops have coral spawning dives set for early September. Are there any reports of whether the spawn happened on the early August dives? Will there still be a spawn in September? We would like to get some info to see if we should book a spot for September.

Thanks

I heard the there was good staghorn spawning @ the CRF nursery offshore tavernier on 8/5 and 8/6. boulder corals spawned on 8/7, not sure how that went. I read an email last week from a FKNMS staffer who thought the coral spawn in august would be more impactful than early September. I'd call CRF directly and ask them how they view the spawning cycle next month.

Researchers expect a new generation of Florida Keys reef-building corals to make an early debut in early August.
The next full moon on July 31 could start the countdown to the annual coral spawn, when the aquatic animals release male and female gametes that join to create planulas -- larval baby corals.
Typically the spawn occurs within days of the August full moon (this year on Aug. 29), but the late-July lunar event has staff at Key Largo's Coral Restoration Foundation preparing for an early-August spawn.
"It's a pretty extensive operation involving our partners from universities and aquariums," foundation spokeswoman Ashley Hill said.
The Coral Restoration Foundation anticipates a spawning period running from around Aug. 2 to 6.
Branching corals like elkhorn and staghorn usually spawn late at night, from two to five nights after the August full moon. Boulder corals such as mountain star and brain spawn at night about six to eight days after the full moon.
However, predicting spawns is not an exact science. Marine biologists did not discover the spawning until the 1980s, and it was not documented in the United States until 25 years ago.
Now the spawn draws intense interest from groups like Mote Marine Laboratory, which sends out teams to Lower Keys reefs from its Summerland Key base.
Some Keys dive shops offer offshore night trips in hopes of catching a glimpse of corals expelling a cloud of tiny white, pink or orange spheres. Spawns may occur from around 10 p.m. to midnight.
When a "broadcast spawn" -- the most common type of event -- occurs, "male and female gametes are released in unison to mix and fertilize in the water column and float to the surface," says a Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary description.
"The fertilized baby corals will drift in the ocean currents for weeks before settling on the sea floor, where they will hopefully grow into new reefs."
But while the window of spawning has been narrowed, "much of the timing is still a mystery and can be affected by weather and other environmental factors," according to sanctuary staff.

reefman
key largo

thanks for the info...will keep an eye out for the coral up here in Broward....Barrel sponges was very interesting this year.

I know this may not sound credible. I am not educated on this topic, so I will relay what I saw and was told.

On July 21st (or maybe the 22nd) 2015 we were diving on Molasses Reef (near the Winch). I honestly don't recall if it was the noon dive or the twilight dive, since I had the same buddy and guide for both. There were randomly appearing white clouds near the coral, approximately 3-4 feet across as they dispersed. There were only a few when we started the dive, but they became more frequent.

I asked my guide what they were, and he replied "The coral is spawning, which is strange at this time of the day." This is why I am confused about which dive (noon or twilight).

I did not know this was a rare or unique event, so I didn't log it. I checked the lunar cycles, and the full moon was not for another 9 days (July 31).

I think what you saw were, probably, sponges spawning. They have been active during the day. Saw a lot of spawning a week or so ago when diving off of Boynton. It's not "rare" but it is fairly unusual to see.

I know this may not sound credible. I am not educated on this topic, so I will relay what I saw and was told.

On July 21st (or maybe the 22nd) 2015 we were diving on Molasses Reef (near the Winch). I honestly don't recall if it was the noon dive or the twilight dive, since I had the same buddy and guide for both. There were randomly appearing white clouds near the coral, approximately 3-4 feet across as they dispersed. There were only a few when we started the dive, but they became more frequent.

I asked my guide what they were, and he replied "The coral is spawning, which is strange at this time of the day." This is why I am confused about which dive (noon or twilight).

I did not know this was a rare or unique event, so I didn't log it. I checked the lunar cycles, and the full moon was not for another 9 days (July 31).

your guide was incorrect. they were brown encrusted tube sponges in full spawning mode. here's a link of the thread/pictures taken the same day @ molasses. also a link for the FKNMS FB site. timgs pics and a discussion of this daytime event is in the santuary timeline dated july 22, 2015 and another event posted yesterday from dives this past friday

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/redirect-to/?redirect=http://2sb.us/510997

https://www.facebook.com/floridakeysnoaagov

reefman
key largo

Glad to know that I was not crazy, and it was during the day. Maybe my guide did say 'sponge', but that's not what I remember.

Anyway... now I know. Thanks!

I've had a lot of people tell me they saw coral spawning in the afternoon. ...it was always sponges. I suspect the problem is (a) they don't know the difference, and/or (b) they are using "coral" in the sense of "coral reef." I hope it is b; I fear it is a.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom