Coral cut advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
Question about treatment of a coral cut:

About 4-5 days ago, I scraped my knee on coral on the bottom in Fiji. No idea what kind except not a staghorn stle coral.

Got a very small cut that bled a little, but also a pattern of about 10 dot abrasions.

I'm wondering about care for the dot pattern as it is sore and has turned from separate red dots to a cluster of slightly raised red spots. No other sign of infection like red lines but wondering whether it should be cause for concern (infection?) or expect to have to give it some care.

Thoughts?

A pic
20220804_214051.jpg

Looks like fire coral (which, fun fact, is not actually coral!). I got it on my knee in Mexico a year ago. It burned on and off for a month or so. Luckily, it's common enough that the internet should have some solid treatment guidelines. If it happens again, it's actually useful to rub at it while you're underwater and initially get stung (though I would do that with something that isn't your skin, like the sleeve of your wetsuit). Sorry that happened!

Thanks all for the tips and link.

It is not an open wound so I hope to avoid the scary description about necrosis though sounds like it will be blisters which I will follow Divers Alert Network info about.

I brought Benedryl but left the hydrocortisone cream I actually have at home.

Getting some local help then I'll be home soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom