Copyright?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan:
One other caveat -- before you publish his name, address, telephone number, etc., on here, stop to consider this.....just because you may not be able to afford legal action against him, it doesn't mean he can't afford it against you. I wouldn't want you to risk being countersued before you get to sue him.

What would you think he would be suing her for?

Curt Bowen wrote:
"Sorry, but checking up on every photo is absolutly impossible!!!!"

Not even remotely knowledgable about publication practices, but wouldn't it be proper to at least check on the pictures you have decided to use? Im guessing that the volume is greatly reduced after you have made your selections for publication.

Another question is do publications require some form of certification from the submitter of pictures and articles that say the work is original? I would think that there was at least a standard clause in a standard purchase agreement that would cover the publisher from the liability of copyright violations. I know that construction contracts have all sorts of holdharmless clauses and buyer protection language. Just wondering if the publication industry is the same.

Getting back to the thread, Lessa, even if you are blocked on his e-mail account you do have his business card with address. A registered mail would be another way to let him know your serious. Even his refusal to accept the snail mail would reinforce your position.

seabat:
Curt Bowen wrote:
"Sorry, but checking up on every photo is absolutly impossible!!!!"

Not even remotely knowledgable about publication practices, but wouldn't it be proper to at least check on the pictures you have decided to use? Im guessing that the volume is greatly reduced after you have made your selections for publication.

No, I trust my writers and photographers. If I was to second guess them it would show untrust on my side. We are professionals here not 2nd grade children on a play ground.

Professional adults do not need to be second guessed or checked upon.

I was working the last 3 years as photo/Dive Instructor in a Caribbean island. I have a copyright CD with UW pictures for sale at the island diveshops...
The resort I used to work made brochures, banners with my pictures and puted it on their website, shows, etc...
I did send a letter asking them do not use it. They did not care.
My lawyer told me this will be a huge lawsuit... around $100.000 per picture...
Big party coming soon... :eyebrow:

scubasean:
What would you think he would be suing her for?

Let's see....how about invasion of privacy? Using someone's private information without authorization?

It might be his business address, but I'm certain he would rather send that info out on HIS terms, not someone elses.

I got into an arguement with a supplements firm in Cali...so I posted their contact information and a copy of our email exchanges on my web site. They called me up 2 years later threatening to sue me! I called them back and invited them to try as there was no law saying I could not post their email on the web. I also had the original email in my unix inbox (just in case). I never heard anything more form them, but I know people were hitting my site when they tried to find this outfits web site!

You might want to try that approach...

I've had some of my pics published without permission. I didn't pursue anything. I guess at the very least you can hope that the guy's fanbelt breaks in the middle of the desert.

Good luck,

Beck

justleesa:
Problem here. It was brought to my attention that someone used one of my photos in the design their business cards. Flattering indeed, BUT I was not asked permission and didn't get anything for it. Not even my name was on the card as the person covered up my leesaspics© signature. I approached him, in what I think is a friendly manner...

Aloha @$%*&@#!

It was brought to my attention that you are using a photo of a vintage scuba diver, that I took, for your business cards.

I do not remember giving you permission to use my photo. What are we going to do about this situation?

Regards,
signed by me

This was his answer, no greeting, no salutation...nothing

Nothing.

It was our understanding that any photo’s on the internet are ‘free game’ to others – according to my attorney.

Anyway, we have redesigned out cards with a picture of our adapters now on them.

How true is it? Are our pictures free game? I know there are pictures, like those that yahoo offers and those that you can buy on a CD that are for such use. But our pictures...are they free game?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom