Coordinating Molokini dives with high altitude Haleakala/Road to Hana.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manolitka

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good day all of you and nice to meet you!
I am a brand new just-out--of-the-oven diver :wink:

My first real dive will take place in Maui. I will dive Molokini Crater+Turtle Town.
Any recommendation for a beginner diver in that site? Help and tips are welcome!

Now I am well aware not to go to Haleakala crater in the next 24 hours.
How about this plan?

Aug 23rd - arrive in Maui by flight.
Aug. 24th - early morning (since i'll have jetlag) drive to Haleakala. Be back to the beach at lunch time.
Aug. 25th - Morning dive in Molokini/Turtle cove
Aug 26th - Road to Hana

How about going to Haleakala 1 day BEFORE diving? Does that cause any hazard? And how about the road to Hana, does it include some high-altitude risks?

Thank you SO VERY much about your help: I am a little concerned and want to be as conservative as I can especially for my health!

Looking forward to your help!:D

There is no problem with going to altitude (or flying) BEFORE diving, so your plan to go to Haleakala early in your trip is a good one. The road to Hana isn't an issue for elevation, so no worries there.

I'm curious as to what dive operator is taking you to "Turtle Town?" That's a generic term that the big snorkel boat operators use to describe any of the off shore sites they use for their second snorkel stop. I've never heard of a dive operator using that term.

Diving Molokini requires no special diving skills unless you're diving the Backwall. The Backwall requires that you be able to hold a mid-water safety stop, ascend without a line, and board a "live" boat.

On the early morning drive to Haleakala - watch for the cyclists coming down. There'll be lots of them at times. Followed by their vans.

Otherwise your plan is fine. There's no downside to being at elevation the day before you dive and there won't be any residual issues the next day driving to Hana. Google it but I'm almost positive the highest point is 1400' so no issues with driving after diving - under 2000' it's usually not even a consideration.

Just stay between the two volcanoes on the drive over - take State Road 350 to Kahului - it's the normal road. If you're flying into Kahului first, it's the road you'll drive on to the Kihei area. If you're not all worn out after the drive back, Mama's Fish House in Paia is definitely worth a stop. It's the one restaurant we try to get to every time.

zmap-maui.jpg

Whoever you dive with will most likely pick the site based on the groups experience/preference and conditions when you arrive at Molokini. If you haven't picked anyone Severns does a nice job. They're all naturalists so you learn about where you're diving on the ride over. Maui Scuba Diving - Mike Severns Diving - Maui Dives

I don't know how young and fit you are, but here's a thought. A long flight on the evening before, followed by a morning dive, is already potentially challenging on your body, especially if you arrive dehydrated, jetlagged and with difficulty falling asleep, or plan your vacation in the middle of a busy work schedule, hardly had the time to pack and plan on sorting out your equipment on the night before (guilty as charged). Add to that the need to get up in the middle of the night to make it to the sunrise, and it starts to sound questionable. If anything, maybe it's better to combine Haleakala with the road to Hana on the first day, and dive well rested on the next day. Personally, I have done the Haleakala on the last day of my dive trip, right before going back to the airport. According to my Suunto, 16 hours of no-fly time were required. I got a good 10 hour sleep on the preceding afternoon after coming back to the hotel, and I started going up just about when my Suunto was about the clear the no-fly time. I was there well before the sunrise, and still made it back to catch my flight. I'm not recommending it, I don't take any responsibility for the outcome, and it may be a very bad idea, but that's what I did, anyway.

There is no problem with going to altitude (or flying) BEFORE diving, so your plan to go to Haleakala early in your trip is a good one. The road to Hana isn't an issue for elevation, so no worries there.

I'm curious as to what dive operator is taking you to "Turtle Town?" That's a generic term that the big snorkel boat operators use to describe any of the off shore sites they use for their second snorkel stop. I've never heard of a dive operator using that term.

Diving Molokini requires no special diving skills unless you're diving the Backwall. The Backwall requires that you be able to hold a mid-water safety stop, ascend without a line, and board a "live" boat.

Thank you so much for your reply, DiveMaven! Very helpful. I have no idea what Turtle Town means geographically in Maui. "Maui Dive Shop" offers this scuba tour. Hope is fun and entertaining!

Thanks much!

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2015 at 03:02 PM ----------

On the early morning drive to Haleakala - watch for the cyclists coming down. There'll be lots of them at times. Followed by their vans.

Otherwise your plan is fine. There's no downside to being at elevation the day before you dive and there won't be any residual issues the next day driving to Hana. Google it but I'm almost positive the highest point is 1400' so no issues with driving after diving - under 2000' it's usually not even a consideration.

Just stay between the two volcanoes on the drive over - take State Road 350 to Kahului - it's the normal road. If you're flying into Kahului first, it's the road you'll drive on to the Kihei area. If you're not all worn out after the drive back, Mama's Fish House in Paia is definitely worth a stop. It's the one restaurant we try to get to every time.

View attachment 213941

Whoever you dive with will most likely pick the site based on the groups experience/preference and conditions when you arrive at Molokini. If you haven't picked anyone Severns does a nice job. They're all naturalists so you learn about where you're diving on the ride over. Maui Scuba Diving - Mike Severns Diving - Maui Dives

Wow, thank you so much for such a detailed reply. Much obliged! I'll definitely follow your recommendation. As per Mike Severns, it was my first choice but unfortunately they don't offer any kind of pick up and I won't have a car that day. So I opted for Maui Dive Shop with their pick up service. Next time for sure will be Mike Severns!

I don't know how young and fit you are, but here's a thought. A long flight on the evening before, followed by a morning dive, is already potentially challenging on your body, especially if you arrive dehydrated, jetlagged and with difficulty falling asleep, or plan your vacation in the middle of a busy work schedule, hardly had the time to pack and plan on sorting out your equipment on the night before (guilty as charged). Add to that the need to get up in the middle of the night to make it to the sunrise, and it starts to sound questionable. If anything, maybe it's better to combine Haleakala with the road to Hana on the first day, and dive well rested on the next day. Personally, I have done the Haleakala on the last day of my dive trip, right before going back to the airport. According to my Suunto, 16 hours of no-fly time were required. I got a good 10 hour sleep on the preceding afternoon after coming back to the hotel, and I started going up just about when my Suunto was about the clear the no-fly time. I was there well before the sunrise, and still made it back to catch my flight. I'm not recommending it, I don't take any responsibility for the outcome, and it may be a very bad idea, but that's what I did, anyway.

Thank you for your thoughts, kr2y5!
Actually, I won't be diving the first morning, but the second. The first morning i'll do Haleakala and then relax at the beach and go to bed early to be ready for my dive! And road to Hana will be the following day. As you said, I don't want to push it too much and I want this vacation to be also a little relaxing :wink:

I went on a dive with Scuba Shack a few years back. We did molokini crater then "turtle town" aka Makena area

Do haleakala early in the trip. Your body will still be used to a different schedule so getting up early won't be a problem, especially if you are coming from the east coast. The road to Hana was one of the favorite of my trip, we did continue all the way around though and didn't turn back at Hana. No jeep either! Safe diving.

Back
Top Bottom