Cooper River Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose016

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jamie and I'm new to the board. I just got back from diving the cooper river this weekend and wanted to share a warning and tip about diving there, usually danger is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of SCUBA, but after hearing of at least 2 deaths at sites I have personally dove in the past couple months, within weeks of myself being there and my experience this weekend I thought I would post this for anyone going to the cooper river, sorry if I ramble on, I'm just throwing everything out there.

When I first dove the river, I was afraid of the gators, but after
this http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1461387&nav=0RaPIF5A happenned and I knew the conditions from previous dives, boats became my new fear. On my first dive since the accident I asked the captain about it and he said there were several mistakes made on that dive in his opinion. First, he was too far up the river, where there are too many gators to begin with. Second, if they were going to dive that part of the river they should not do it on labor day when all the drunks are out in their speedboats and if they had to dive that weekend in that part of the river, not that time of day.

So that lowered my fear thinking, this part of the river now should be clear, well when we arrived at the first site, there was already a boat there and I noticed them trying to waive us away because there were divers in the water and they were coming up, but I don't think he liked them being there or was mad because they were an out of town boat, but he did not move away from them or clear out so the divers could come up nearly the way I would have expected or the way I would have. Anyways there are some other things that I think could be done more safely as well from the charter standpoint but onto my major point. When you surface from the river bottom which is pitch black, light slowly begins to appear, but you cannot see anything meaningful until you hit the surface and when I popped up I saw a boat coming at me as far as I could tell full speed from about 25 yards away dead center (the crease of the hull was lined right with my head and the bow was way up, there was no way they saw me), I only had time to react and get down, I didn't know how far down I needed to go, or if there were any boats following it, but I didn't want to under estimate it. I went down for about 30 seconds and slowly came up listening for any engines (never heard the first boat) when I hit the surface for the second time my boat came at me pretty quick I thought (figuring he saw the whole thing) and I saw the captain on the phone thinking he was reporting the boat to the river patrol or something, no he was just talking to a friend of his, he threw me the ladder and made no mention of it, he was behind the boat.

Sorry, so to wrap up this short novel, from now on I think I will be stopping my ascent a few feet from the surface and blowing up a safety sausage or soemthing to signal my surface, or purging my secondary reg for 15 seconds, something to signal I'm coming up before my head breaches, or slowly do the last few feet with arm fully extended flashlight in hand. With one person dead and had I come up facing the other direction, I don't know if I culd have gotten down far enough, quick enough, I don't think there's much chance the boat saw me.

Sorry if I caused more suicides from boredom than accidents this may prevent, but just soemthing to think about, wanted to give you all the information, and typing this beats studying for finals.

thanks, look forward to being on the board.

I'm shocked your guide did not require a safety sausage with a lanyardin the first place. I used an inflatable sausage on a 30' lanyard that was to be deployed before your ascent. Then, at 5', we were told to stop and listen for at least 30 seconds for oncoming boats. Who was your charter through? Sounds like you need to use a more safety conscious boat charter and the fear will be much less. I had the same concerns about boats, but at least they had a way of seeing we were there. As far as the gators, we also got a very detailed breifing from our boat captian on how to avoid them, etc... He was very aware of their nesting, breeding, and any other habits that would make them aggressive and/or protective of their territory. Sorry you had a bad experience. Next time, call Bill Routh at Off the Wall Charters in Salem, SC. His website is www.offthewalldiving.com. You will feel safe with him and have a good time and not worry about anything but finding artifacts. I have had nothing but good trips with him and have never heard anything but positive things from anyone else.

Thanks I'll look into him next time, hadn't seen anyone use any such tactics any time I have dove there so thoguht I'd throw it out there.

Moose016:
Thanks I'll look into him next time, hadn't seen anyone use any such tactics any time I have dove there so thoguht I'd throw it out there.

Hey Moose,

Boats are by far the scariest thing in the Cooper river,(with the exception of blue crabs). nothing worries me more then the sound of a boat while I am ascending. The majority of fatalities I've read about on the Cooper have been from boats.

What I do when I surface is I don't come up in the middle of the river. The Captain I dive with always anchors on the side of the river and we work our way to the gravel beds in deep water once we get under the water. When I'm around 1200 psi I start working my way back to the bank that the boat is on and I always get as shallow as absolutely possible before making my ascent. This way I know that the boat will be down stream and further in the river then where I am. This makes the dive boat a nice big obstacle between me and any passing boats. I don't bother with shooting a bag because passing boats will not notice until its to late and our dive boat Captain can tell when you are coming up by your bubbles.

PS, could you send me a message about who you chartered with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom