cooper river diving tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billygene

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks...am new to forum and live in Atlanta. Have recently made my first Cooper River trip and loved it. I'm interested in connecting with someone who can give me tips on making this trip from my own boat, ie the do's and don'ts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Bill

intersted in knowing such things as ...best source of tidal conditions for the Cooper, does it matter whether tide is outging or incoming, is it best to treat dive as drift dive with operator in boat or can you anchor up in slack tide, how long is slack tide...that kind of stuff. thanks

billygene:
intersted in knowing such things as ...best source of tidal conditions for the Cooper, does it matter whether tide is outging or incoming, is it best to treat dive as drift dive with operator in boat or can you anchor up in slack tide, how long is slack tide...that kind of stuff. thanks
Billygene, I,m one of the boat Capt./guides on the cooper river, so I have some knowledge. There are many sourses for tide charts, knowing the locations of your dives so you can find the true tide for the area is important as there are up to 4 hour difference between Chast. harbor and the upper portions of the cooper and east cooper. Also I would advise chartering until you are fairly farmiliar with the river for several reasons. Most of us Captains spent many hours diving the river to find the spots we dive and many more diving unproductuve sites, as the other diver said thats a long way to drag a boat for trial and error! I dive all tides but I know spots to dive depending on current conditions, ie lots of bounce diving. Most divers do very little drift diving in the cooper , we have found that vis is much better going against the current and you stay ahead of the boat. I would definitly advise you to keep someone on board the boat who can drive and pick you up and watch for other boats ect. Please remember to deploy a dive flag while diving and lowering it when divers are back on board. hAPPY hUNTING. cAPT. pHILL

Back
Top Bottom