Cooper River diver missing - South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Barnaby and AustinV....that does sound fun. How long are the rides out, assuming we're talking the 6-packs? Are there any particular shops your recommend?

You’re looking at up to about two hours to get to the offshore (way offshore) dive sites. Keep in mind that it’s NC, so the weather is hit or miss. You may book the farther ledge and only be able to make the “inshore” one (still quite a hike) due to weather.

Some of the cattle boats hit the Meg Ledges, but as Austin was saying...it’s typically only two dives for them. With the six packs, you have the option for three. WBDiving is one of the most popular charters. Regardless of the operator...for six pack ledge trips, you generally have to book well in advance.

WB Diving: Wrightsville Beach Diving SCUBA Charters and Megalodon Teeth

Apologies, I seem to have derailed the OP/Topic.... Barnaby and AustinV, I'll PM you.

Thanks Barnaby and AustinV....that does sound fun. How long are the rides out, assuming we're talking the 6-packs? Are there any particular shops your recommend?

Yes, as @Barnaby'sDad says, you need to book far in advance, particularly with WB Diving. They're popular with spearfishers as well, so they satisfy two niche markets, you almost need to book by February if you want a weekend and plan on diving that year... Another option is Jet Lag Charters, they fill up certain weeks as well but not as quickly. Both charters will put you on teeth, they know the spots. WB is a faster boat so shorter rides, Jet Lag is a bigger, slower boat, so more space to relax on the ride back. Blackbeard Scuba out of Southport and Instigator out of the Morehead City area both also hit the ledges but I haven't personally dived with either. The two mentioned further up are the ones I frequent only because that area is where my family vacations so that's where I generally end up.

Sadly, most diver bodies recovered still have their weights.

The real question is were the divers in any condition to release the belt. Heart attack, stroke, CO poisoning, or any severe medical event, can leave the victim incapable of dropping the belt. In addition, if you are diving neutral, a kick towards the surface or a hit of air to the BC should put one on the surface shortly, and are on my list before dropping lead.

I also practice a belt drop in the water, and always undo my belt by feel. On shore dives when I get out of the water I pop the belt and let it drop, I do have to replace the belt more often, but I know the process works.

Back
Top Bottom