Coolpix 4600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have owned a Reefmaster for the past 6 years and normally have had a hit and miss success with it. So, last year I bought the Coolpix 4600, more for topside shots while traveling but I also wanted to give it a go for underwater since it has the underwater feature to it.

Just before our trip to Maui the end of June I bought a Fantasea underwater housing for the camera. I took my strobe for the Reefmaster with me since it seemed to work okay during my trial runs at home. Unfortunately, the strobe sort of got messed up during the flight and so I decided not to use it on my dives. Big mistake. Without the external strobe the pics really were pathetic. The bright side though is the housing seemed to function okay, once I set the camera up right so it wouldn't turn off so quickly.

I will give it another go on my next set of dives using the external strobe and hopefully have better results.

so the strobe did work before the trip?

I've got the same setup. I've got a coolpix 4600 for topside and a Reefmaster (dc310 w/ strobe) for underwater. The reefmaster takes decent pics but not 'great pics'.

how did you slave the strobe off the 4600? with just the flash deflector or the fiber optic cable?

did you ever get a chance to test it before the strobe messed up?

Yes, I tested "dry" with just the deflector and it seemed to work okay. The problem though is the lighting I shot under was bright so I am not sure if it was effective. I am hoping to go over to Catalina and do a couple of dives to test it out again when I repair the strobe.

mike_s:
I've got the same setup. I've got a coolpix 4600 for topside and a Reefmaster (dc310 w/ strobe) for underwater. The reefmaster takes decent pics but not 'great pics'.

I've used the 5600 with the SL960D strobe and flash link with some success. The SL960D cycles faster than the camera's internal strobe. I then got the DC500 as a gift and it takes much better photos than the Nikon 5600.

Back
Top Bottom