Coolest Myth Ever! Deep Sea Diver CRUSHED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was never a myth. Physic isn't mythical. We are 90+% water which is not compressible but it will compress what is. Have a dry suit? See how far down you can dive without air in it before it really, really starts to hurt. Then imagine being at100FSW and having that happen quickly.

Jamie is a significantly experienced diver, right?

I was under the impression that these hats had one way valves.

Once upon a time long ago they didn't know they were need!

****** sponge diver gear from the 1950-s did have one way flapper valves so i'm guessing this is just a myth, or it was only possible with very early hard hat gear.
If you think about it people who were using it were not stupid, just did not have the technology we had today. One way valves were not a recent invention.

****** sponge diver gear from the 1950-s did have one way flapper valves so i'm guessing this is just a myth, or it was only possible with very early hard hat gear.
If you think about it people who were using it were not stupid, just did not have the technology we had today. One way valves were not a recent invention.

The hard hat is 200 years do you think they had or knew of 1way valves in 1820?

The first successful diving helmets were produced by the brothers Charles and John Deane in the 1820s.[

They definitely had and knew of 1-way valves in 1820. Look at the state of steam engine technology at that time. Highly advanced valve mechanisms.

I don't know if they were applied to diving helmets for this specific purpose though.

They definitely had and knew of 1-way valves in 1820. Look at the state of steam engine technology at that time. Highly advanced valve mechanisms.

I don't know if they were applied to diving helmets for this specific purpose though.

That's what I meant :) Humans have a thing about learning by doing. It's why old divers will say the safety record diving has today is written in blood, because it literally is.

I wonder how often this actually happened, but definitely not quite a myth. Are we are allowed to post links to dtmag? They had a history article describing this type of accident in an early salvage effort -- the person lived, but it sounded pretty nasty. (Around 1840). I would guess those types of incidents resulted in the installation of the check valves.

I wonder how often this actually happened, but definitely not quite a myth. Are we are allowed to post links to dtmag? They had a history article describing this type of accident in an early salvage effort -- the person lived, but it sounded pretty nasty. (Around 1840). I would guess those types of incidents resulted in the installation of the check valves.

Yep learn by doing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom