Cool Water Semi Dry/ Wetsuit HELP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turkey68

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking into getting a wetsuit or semi dry suit for diving in the "Off Season" in KY. The water temp I will be diving in can be as low as 40* in the early spring or late fall. I dive in quarries and lakes (fresh water). I am 5'11", 220lbs, & 35" waist. I have a NeoSport XSpan 3/2 size L that fits great to use in warmer water and in Florida. I wanted some opinions. Should I get a 7mm NeoSport XSpan with a hood and boots or should I get something a little warmer like a semi dry? I have been looking at some suits. What do you guys think about the O'neill J-Type , Psycho, or 7000x, H2Odyssey Coronado, or Mares Isotherm?

Unless your getting the Semi-Dry really cheap than get a Drysuit... For about the same price a New Semi-dry will cost you, typically you canfind used ones in great shape on this board I have seen them from 500 and up just gotta look. IMO 40F waters is 100% dry again thats me I get cld easily but I have buddy who doesn't and use's a Semi or did and he wouldnt last too long in the water. and Dont forget it's not just in the water but it's when you get out that will make it even worse

When diving a wetsuit in cold waters it's all about keeping the water in the suit. The more that water flows thru the suit the harder it is to stay warm. A semi-dry that fits well does a great job. I have found that a 7mm semi-dry with a 7mm hooded vest works the best for me. I will wear a pair of 3mm neo socks under a pair of 7mm boots. On my hands I like the Dry Five gloves. You have to take the time to put the seals on the gloves and boots in the proper place for the suit so as to minimize water transfer. I will also load the suit with a little warm water before entry. This system will allow me about 40-50 minutes in 36* water at about 60'. I will also do a second dive by reloading with more warm water and warming my hands between dives. But then again I am one of the few that will. I have just recently acquired a used drysuit. It is definitely an improvement over wetsuits and I got it at a great price.

I also recommend a dry suit and you don't have to break the bank if you're not doing wrecks or caves for new suit that would be fine for OW diving and you can do it for under a grand.

Scubapro has some new suits out with great seals on them that keep you nice and warm as well as a very nice neoprene dry for around a 1000.

scubapro

I have the combat version of the Waterproof Taurus, a great semi-dry, but for the money you would pay for it you really could get into a Bare drysuit. The temps you are talking about it really would be worth it. There is nothing worse that getting into a cold wet wetsuit when its 40 degrees outside..

40 is really cold, at least for me and would use my drysuit. Would not even consider a semidry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom