Cool experience at Buntzen lake today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did a 70's vintage solo at Buntzen today and caught the trout hatchery as it dumped a truckload of Rainbows into the lake. I was at the end of my dive and saw them prepping the truck/pipeline so I just positioned myself about 20ft from the outlet of the pipe, sat on the bottom and waited. I was not dissapointed! Hundreds of big trout 12"-18'' came swarming towards me. They were stunned and somewhat sluggish, swimming right up and around me, bumping into my faceplate and nestling under my arms legs etc... like being in a herring ball of trout.

The funny part was that my brother and his freind came with me to go fishing while I dived. After the truck pulled away they both started casting right into the mass of fish but didn't catch a thing.
The trout were feeding (jumping on the surface) but I think they were so used to eating cast pellets in the hatchery that they didn't recognise the bottom lures being used.
I had to tease them a little bit. You don't get trout handed to you like that every day :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom