Cookies, logins and the whole damn thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So how come the site recognizes who I am so I don't have to log in - but only perhaps one time out of ten? The fact that it recognizes me at all suggests to me strongly that the problem is not my cookie settings, etc.

Any ideas?

Every day around 1500+ users login to their accounts so I'm sure people are getting in, but I'm also sure you are having problems -- the question becomes what is different between your system and those 1500 other systems. Whats your browser version and what security level is it set to? If you are running Norton system works or any similar programs I recommend you turn off any web features they may have and try logging in. And of course, be sure you are always trying to login via www.scubaboard.com and not any other url.

IE vsn 6.0.2900.2180 and then it goes on about xp SP II. 128-bit security. No Norton; God forbid. Even when I log in via the URL you give me it doesn't know me. I have scubaboard.com listed in Explorer as one of the sites that has no cookie restrictions.

Usually of course, one wants to log in via the URL that comes with the Email that says somebody has responded to some subscribed thread or other. It doesn't know me then either, except as I say, about one time in 10.

I do have Mcafee virus stuff but not terribly interested in turning THAT off.

Your virus protection shouldn't be causing a problem, Norton however seems to have bundled some web related tools with their recent versions which blocks cookies amoung other things, hence why I asked. All of our emails use the same URL with the full site name (www.scubaboard.com). I'm really not sure what else to suggest, you've cleared your cookies, restarted and you're running ie 6, nothing should be creating this problem. Very, very odd.

Next time you login be sure the "remember me" box is checked. I will continue to investigate but it's hard to figure this out when I can't duplicate the problem.

The 'remember me' checkbox is always checked when I arrive - it's just that it doesn't.

My ISP has me on a dynamic IP, which is annoying in other ways as well, but I think that's fairly commonplace, isn't it?

Could it have anything to do with the fact that I usually connect through a wireless router?

Oh, well. I'll live. I don't want you to spend a lot of time on this if it can't be fixed relatively simply.

Your ip address shouldn't matter here, a cookie remembers your login if your ip changes or not. I'd like to help you (that;s my job after all) but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what may be causing this. If you notice anything else happening that might serve as a clue please let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom