Convict Fish Biology And Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently got lucky enough to film a adult convict fish in Dauin, Philippines. This fish had just turned adult it seems, and was seemingly looking for a site for a burrow to excavate. I filmed that fish for quite some time - it's rare to see adults of these, though the juveniles are common.

This is the video:

I also wrote a blog post about the topic, which turned from an extended video caption into a brief review of the biology and evolution of the convict fish. Curiously, the closest relative of these fish are the African, Indian and South American freshwater Cichlids, the popular aquarium fishes.

It seems counterintuitive for juveniles to feed adults -- the opposite of parental care. I wonder how it benefits the species.

It seems counterintuitive for juveniles to feed adults -- the opposite of parental care. I wonder how it benefits the species.
True, on the surface. The social system in bees works similarly, though, the worker bees are all daughters of the queen. They work for the benefit of the colony, and of their relatives. Very unusual for a fish!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom