Converting fire extinguishers into SCUBA bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver:
Do NOT ask me about venting drygloves :11:

MD

If you lubricate the sealing rings really well with silicone...you can vent them at least 10-15' :D

bwerb:
If you lubricate the sealing rings really well with silicone...you can vent them at least 10-15' :D

That why air fills cost so much in Vancouver now. You guys keep wasting air seeing how far you can rocket your drygloves :11:

My first drysuit gas bottle was off an old rebreather, there was only a needle valve. No reg. It worked remarkably well but you wanted to make sure the knob was well protected.

If you want to actually be warmer, go the route of adding drygloves & another layer of polypro to your undies because in reality there isn't much difference between argon & air as a suit gas.

Another inspired (excuse the pun) piece of advice by Junior Diver....

Whilst filling, the bottle would probably fly off and injure somebody/something. Alternatively it could always go off with a nice bang and deafen the person filling it. (Anybody remember filling these bottles with dry ice and putting the lid on?... carnage!)

The bottle weighs next to nothing, so a 2 litre volume would require just over 2kilos of extra lead (4.5 lbs).

The bottle would get in the way and cause great problems with your buoyancy.

Say you did manage to fill it to a higher pressure. When you try breathing from it the high pressure will rupture your lungs as it is not regulated.

So you don't fill it with HP air and just take it down with LP. At any decent depth it would be crushed and therefore pressurised, so would still end up as HP when you try to breathe from it. This may be ok seeing as both the bottle and your lungs began at the same pressure. However I should imagine there would still be a difference in pressure due to the difference in elasticity and therefore compression between your lung tissue and the plastic.

Also, compression of the bottle means the volume would decrease and screw your buoyancy.

BUT imagine if it did work and you screw the lid on, dive down (with the extra weight), run out of air, try and get the thing near your mouth to breathe from it, take a breath, begin your cesa, breathing out, that extra 2 kilos of lead will really help now!

An Irishman in the seventeenth century sussed all this out! (Sir Robert Boyle)

*** SIDEBAR ***

Looking at other posts by JuniorDiver I appreciate his enthusiasm and remember what it was like to be so keen and full of ideas at his age.

He just needs to curb his arrogance and be a bit less self-assured. Unfortunately he will not take on board anything others say unless it a) agrees with him or b) suits him.

Here endeth the Physics rant.

rj.

Damn. I just built 6 of these and was ready to go test them until you 'blew' it for me!

Hey, there was a 30cf tank out on eBay last week going for around $50. What would it cost to convert your fire extinguisher? I'll get the guys to chip in and we'll buy you the proper piece of equipment. If my couple of bucks keeps someone from getting hurt, it beats sending it to PADI Diving Society.

hey i didn't say you should use this, it was just a really thick idea what i had when i wasn't really very awake

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom