Convert Zipseal Gloves To Locking System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've got a DUI dry suit. It's great and I have had no problems with it. But I think I made a mistake getting the zipseal gloves. I cannot get the rest of my gear on once I put the suit on. Maybe I need more practice but I feel that I won't be able to actually get my gear off in an emergency.

I was hoping that I could convert the zipseal system to something like a Si-Tech locking system but I haven't been able to find a product that will mate the zipseals to a locking system.

Does anyone know of such a system?

Or, any suggestions on how to do it myself?

First of all if it is a dexterity problem your gloves are probably too big. Your fingers should fit snuggly into the end of the gloves with no extra material. I often put my gloves on before leaving the dock, then have to put everything else on once we have dropped anchor. Point being I do know about dexterity, and find I don't have a problem since my gloves fit properly. I find most people are using the wrong gloves as they are too big for them. If your hand fits a smaller size then what you are using now, then you are using the wrong size.

Put your regular zip seals back on and get a pair of Viking rings. Problem solved. I am not a fan of the DUI attached dry gloves since there are times I do want to hang out in my drysuit yet have my hands free. Like when it is cold or raining yet I want to eat lunch or repair equipment.

The last things you need to do before putting your arms into the drysuit are 1. get your neck seal right and 2. tuck your hood into the suit. (There's an enlightening video on the DUI site)
Most everything else you need to be able to do with the gloves anyway. The recommended gloves are fat and clumsy, but the Atlas 660 is thinner and more articulated, XL 660 is somewhere between the M and L (645?) without the bulky liner. I use wool army surplus gloves with the XL 660. This is the quick-fix, and I'm also using Si-tech systems (later for that), but whatever you use, you have to be able to work bolt-snaps etc. with the gloves on and practice seems to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom