Contrary to belief, there are laws about dive certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more destination to scratch off my list.

What is a "navigation license".

I am one to generally say that laws (USA) do not require certification but I do believe I saw something about some municipalities in CA that have such legal requirements. Just another place I probably will never spend my scuba $$$.

FWIW, PADI doesn't "license" me. License implies that PADI is the authority to decide whether I am allowed to dive or not. That's simply not the reality. PADI merely "certifies" me. This merely implies that PADI recognizes that I have a certain set of minimum qualifications.

Simply put, PADI isn't the Scuba Police. Now, for my local diving, if the City of Austin or Travis County, State of Texas, or the United States of America was to pass a law similiar, it would be those entities that license me to dive based on a recognized third party certificate.

Many of the local authorities in the Middle East are only aware of PADI and nothing else, and as long as you have this card (which they also interpret as a licence) you are allowed to dive.

When I lived in Saudi there was a locally issued dive permit from the Min. of Agriculture and Fisheries that could be obtained free, but with various NOC letters, copy of PADI card, rubber stamps etc which took about 2 days out of your life to obtain, but it was better than any PADI card as far as the Coast Guard were concerned because it was written in Arabic and those who could read mainly read Arabic.

I don't recall ever seeing a post that stated "there's no law that says you have to be certified". Perhaps they're out there, but I haven't seen them. I thought it was common knowledge that some countries do regulate by law certain aspects of diving. UAE is clearly one of those.

Just a couple of days ago (I just read it, I've no skin in the game either way):
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...g-my-daughter-scuba-diving-4.html#post6498020

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...g-my-daughter-scuba-diving-4.html#post6498118

Yes, of course there are a number of countries and localities that have laws relating to diving. When people on SB invariably chime in that "a certification is not the same thing as a license" and "there are no dive police," they are usually referring to the United States of America. I believe Australia has some laws, such as a requirement of a dive physical exam. Even in America, we have laws relating to things like the use of dive flags and behavior in marine reserves. I sometimes see non-American posters here referring to a "license," and I am not about to try to "correct" them since I am not familiar with the law where they dive. What they have very well may be a license of sorts.
Yes, people in the US tend to live in an aquarium. Even those who've traveled a little bit seem to think the whole world is one, big USA. They run around with great big blinders on.
I'm not hugely well traveled by any means but I've been to nearly a dozen third world and communist countries. I try to keep my eyes and mind open. Each country is different and has their own laws and culture. That's part of the fun while traveling.
I can never understand why some travelers visit only the beaten tourist path, eating at chain restaurants and McDonalds. When I travel, I try to immerse my self in each country, meet the people, eat their food, feel their history and culture and find out a little about how they "tick".
My job, as a physician, is working with immigrants from 3rd world countries. It's been the most fulfilling job I've ever had. I love talking to people about their cultures and their countries.

Interesting.

We have simillar laws in the States; dive flag, hunting, marine conservation.

Interesting.

We have simillar laws in the States; dive flag, hunting, marine conservation.

I'm not aware of anywhere in the states with laws that govern the act of diving itself. I'm referring to these laws from the UAE:

Federal Law No. (23) of the year 1999, ARTICLE (51) Whoever exercises the diving hobby shall: a) hold an approved diving license, b) abide by the rules, regulations and others issued by the competent bodies. c) Clarify the diving place with the international banner (Alfa) for determining the diving area. d) Guarantee the devices fitness he/she uses for exercising diving. e) Hold a navigation license from the competent authority.

We do have locations that limit what you can do while diving, similar to these laws:

ARTICLE (52) It is forbidden for diving hobbyists to: 1) Pick off coral reefs. 2) Pick off ruins and dispose of them personally. 3) Pick off ship wreckages or dispose of them for personal purposes. 4) Dive individually. 5) Use fishing guns while using diving equipment (compressed oxygen). 6) Dive in banned waters, prohibited areas, near military constructions or vivid marine constructions and castles.

Yes, people in the US tend to live in an aquarium. Even those who've traveled a little bit seem to think the whole world is one, big USA. They run around with great big blinders on.
I'm not hugely well traveled by any means but I've been to nearly a dozen third world and communist countries. I try to keep my eyes and mind open. Each country is different and has their own laws and culture. That's part of the fun while traveling.
I can never understand why some travelers visit only the beaten tourist path, eating at chain restaurants and McDonalds. When I travel, I try to immerse my self in each country, meet the people, eat their food, feel their history and culture and find out a little about how they "tick".
My job, as a physician, is working with immigrants from 3rd world countries. It's been the most fulfilling job I've ever had. I love talking to people about their cultures and their countries.

Shhh--don't encourage them to travel, or soon Port Sudan liveaboards will be overrun with Americans. It's dangerous out there, folks! :wink:

Perhaps they were diving compressed air or maybe nitrox. In that case, they'd be OK. The law, or at least the english translation, seems to limit the banned activity to spear fishing using compressed oxygen. :wink:

I wonder if ignorance of the law is not an excuse applies over there. In a country where from all reports takes their laws seriously when it come to foreigners, don't think I would be taking any chances. :)

Back
Top Bottom