Continuing Rescue Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue classes definitely are instructor dependent. Find a tech instructor that also teaches rescue. Pretty much guaranteed to have stuff added that you don't see in the average course.
When I taught the class I had divers in jacket bcs, bpws, sidemount, backmount doubles, wet suits and drysuits. All in the same class and the differences were covered. The in water scenarios were done with each being a victim.
I've had a rebreather diver bring his rig and explain how to help him.
Half of the scenarios I would not brief the students on. They'd just "happen".
Like not telling students that a buddy team was actually helping me as victims.
Or I'd just collapse in the middle of explaining something and fall over into the water. Seemingly unconscious.
I'd also explain that while some things had to be taught, in reality unless they practiced on a regular basis, like in water rescue breaths, all trying to do that would be is to ensure brain damage or death. Instead of getting then to where effective measures could be used.
It also makes a huge difference if the instructor has actually had to perform actual rescues. Many haven't.

I recently took a PADI rescue cert course because I wanted to feel more empowered and advance my education, but I don't exactly feel like I gained much more knowledge than I had as AOW and don't really have confidence in much of what we went over. I feel like I paid for a checkmark, not a real course. It was a lot of money just to prove I know how to take a written test and for very limited instruction/practical training, mostly just vaguely repeating what is said in the training book by a DM who wasn't exactly a teacher / instructor.

I'm wondering how people practice practical emergency response? Are there rescue dive or similar training courses that are geared towards really drilling and practicing emergency response scenarios? How would I go about looking for that? I'm based in Los Angeles if that is helpful. Right now all I can think of is throwing my friends in the pool and asking them to act unpredictability.
If this is an accurate description of the class, then you should (a) complain to PADI that standards were not followed, (b) complain to the shop that you want your money back, and (c) not assume that all PADI Rescue classes are like the crappy one you got. Most seem to say tht their Rescue class was the best class they ever had.

(added) You haven't actually had a rescue class yet, so it is premature to ask about a follow-on.

Two continuing education options available to you as a Southern California resident, the first is The Emergency Diving Accident Management course run by the hyperbaric chamber on Catalina Island (not sure when they will be offering the 2023 courses). The Los Angeles County Advanced Diver program does some rescue skills with in water practices (but not usually scenario based rescues). Obviously you can also just try a different rescue course from a different dive shop if you prefer, but at least this time you could interview the potential instructor about the practical skills/scenarios.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom