Contacts or prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived for years with soft daily disposables, never a problem - just bring a spare set and your glasses just in case.

Contacts. I tried a prescription mask once--from that mask place in San Diego that gets a lot of recommendations--and HATED it. I think there might be a comfort level associated with the strength of one's prescription. I wear -7.50 contacts, and the prescription mask was like looking through a Coke bottle. The lenses were thick, and the mask was heavy. I tried it once and junked it.

I just bring a few spare pairs of contacts when I travel (for diving or otherwise). Even if I lose one underwater, back on the boat I can easily pop a replacement in. Disposable contacts are relatively cheap. Also, if you expect the light to be dim when you replace a contact, bring one of those small LED headlamps to help you.

I'll mention something here , and is why I did not go for full correction power on my diving contacts (and probably wont for a dive mask)
I reasoned that there will be no need for me to see perfect at long distance underwater and would allow better close up vision (I really do need bifocal glasses at this point)

I'll mention something here , and is why I did not go for full correction power on my diving contacts (and probably wont for a dive mask)
I reasoned that there will be no need for me to see perfect at long distance underwater and would allow better close up vision (I really do need bifocal glasses at this point)

Good advice, as I see in retrospect (see my post above). The downside of doing this is that one would have to get their optometrist to write a second Rx for a power that is less than one's normal power.

I wear Air Optix Multifocal Contacts. They are kind of like bi-focal contacts and they can be left in for 7 days before you have to take them out. I use a different strength combination in each eye. I have great distance vision and can also read my computer with them. I have never lost a contact, even when doing mask clearing demonstrations in the pool during OW classes. I always take a spare set with me when I go diving.

If you don't need multifocal contacts then look at the Air Optix Night & Day ones. They can be left in for 30 days and then thrown out. My wife wears these.

A problem could arise if you can't find a properly fitting mask that can be fitted with script lenses. If you wear a prescription mask then you are blind when ever you remove it, or you could loose your mask then you are out of luck.

I also do monovision using contacts.

One eye just below prescription level and the other at reading. If I know it is a macro dive or vis is poor I will often just go with reading contacts in both eyes. Same reasoning - can't see that far in the water anyway so why not see clearly close up. I keep a selection of contacts 2.5, 3.0 3.5 4.5 and 5.5 and choose the ones I want for the dive depending on conditions. One eye is 5.5 the other 4.5 so adding three more strengths is no big deal - they are cheap. Most common is 2.5 in the 4.5 eye and 4.5 in the 5.5 eye. Gives close focus in one eye and reasonable long and middle distance in the other.

No need for an additional prescription - just tell the vendor what you are doing and why - or buy contacts on line.

Have only lost a contact once on the swim grid after a dive. Did Fundies in contacts where having a flooded mask or no mask at all is a regular occurance and had no issues losing a contact. I try to remember to partially close my eyes to keep the contacts in - no idea if it really works.

Tried stick in reading lenses and did not like it - just did not work for working with a camera.

Reactions: D_B
for me there was no need for a differing prescription, my diving contacts were free (not my prescription contacts, which I do not wear) ... they were some of his samples from manufactures, I have several -5.5 , a box of -4,25 , some -3.75 , and some -2.5

another thing that comes up in these threads, is the need to remove your contacts after diving to .. disinfect them, or throw them away ... personally I left mine in for the days diving, and then removed them

what you guys use?

That's a choice you'll have to make.

If you have a relatively weak, reasonably normal prescription, you can use either contacts or mask-mounted lenses. If you have a weird prescription (prism/astigmatism/etc.) the mounted lenses become increasing fussy and less useful.

Here are a few things to think about:

• Lenses in the mask are easier, but if your prescription is still changing, you may have to send your mask in and pay for new lenses every now and then.
  • If you have a strong prescription, mask lenses tend to distort things if your mask moves around or you don't get it on the same way each time.
  • You can't borrow a mask if you lose/break yours on a trip. With contacts, any mask will work.
  • Contacts work really well regardless of your prescription, but it's sometimes difficult to put them on while the boat is moving.
  • Contacts can wash out if you flood your mask.

If you get contacts, make sure you get one-day disposables and toss them when the dive is over. Sea/lake/pool water contains things that can cause serious infections and that can't be killed with normal lens cleaning solution, and that you don't want trapped between the lens and your eye for any longer than necessary.

I've had both. Vision is better with contacts, use is easier with mounted lenses.

flots.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_B
Contacts... I wear a pair that are slightly underpowered so I can read my gauges, yet comfortably see what I'm diving for. Normal prescrip is for distance and for reading (bifocals). Had lenses in a mask when I first started diving, but when I took off my mask, it's blurry-ville, and I'm very near-sighted. Now I can take off my mask, not worry about glasses in a dry box and all the fiddling that goes with it, and I can see right away. If you lose or flood your mask, just keep your eyes closed. If you need to see, then squinting will help keep them in. Also, had heard that in fresh water, contacts will pop out right away, but in salt water, they actually stay in your eye better because of the salinity... not sure about that. A few times the salt water got in my mask and eyes and it burned slightly but the tears from you eyes will then flush out the salt water and everything will be hunky-dory.

As for bacteria infection, I would remove and disinfect them after diving which sometimes could be in a few hrs or coming back after a whole day (12 hrs). I have a really nice fitting mask and I'm careful not to flood it, although I will peel the skirt to let in a little water if my mask is fogging (works great). Basically normal diving procedure, nothing special. Contacts seem to allow me to dive as close to normal as if I didn't need corrective lenses. YMMV.

Contacts here as well. I prefer the Dailies as they are very inexpensive. During mask drills only once did I have the contact shift off the center of my eye. I have yet to lose one in about 200 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom