Contacting the owners of Mammoth Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone one know the number for the Verners? These are the people who own Mammoth Lake.

When the shop there closed, the word was that they were going to have someone at the front gate to collect money and waivers. There was no one there last Sunday.

You may try calling Asiel's Restaurant, next door, (979) 285-3800 · 330 N Dixie Dr Lake Jackson, TX 77531. They own the restaurant too. Or call Maximum Scuba, 281-291-9911. I got my reg rebuilt by Maximum Scuba by dropping my reg to one of the instructor there after teaching open water class. I'll be there this coming Saturday to pick up my reg.

Yes, but they still can rent a tank & let you dive there if you call their Seabrook store. Jeff will bring a tank for you to the lake.

They plan to put a shack to store tanks with compressor for refill in the future.

I think Vernor, the lake owner & Asiel's restaurant will eventually put their own scuba store there, but Maximum Scuba would still be renting & refilling tanks.

Last edited:
I was actively diving there this summer (other places got a bit old, plus, I liked lack of thermocline). There was not too many people diving. In other places people would come to swim, but closeness to the ocean, probably, removes such potential customers for Mammoth Lake. Well, I was excited when maxscuba decided to open a shop there. But, I guess, it is really not a money maker.

I was actively diving there this summer (other places got a bit old, plus, I liked lack of thermocline). There was not too many people diving. In other places people would come to swim, but closeness to the ocean, probably, removes such potential customers for Mammoth Lake. Well, I was excited when maxscuba decided to open a shop there. But, I guess, it is really not a money maker.

Ya, Lake Jackson is a small town of 25,000 people, but we are only 15 min drive to Freeport, where Fling Charters is docking whenever they don't go out to Flower Gardens.

This summer I found an iPhone in this very lake below a dock, (the one closest to mobile homes on the other shore) about 15' deep, in a waterproof casing. Because of air inside the case, the whole thing looked like a cheap mirror in a frame, I almost ignored it. I was thinking, nah, no way it is not flooded. Come out to the dock, disassemble the case, all dry, a slim iphone, latest model. I turned the phone on, just 4% battery remaining. Locked by pin. So, I go into emergency contacts, where such people are listed as "daddy", "mommy".. So, a kid's phone. I chose "daddy" to call, kinda mano-to-mano. A male voice answers with kind of disbelieving "hello, who is this...". Took me a few tries to convey the situation. "Daddy" came down to the dock in 30mins with a $20 tip. Evidently they were fishing 2 days ago and their son dropped the phone. I guess no one knew how to swim well, 15 feet is very diveable. Plus, that very dock has the least amount of fish... :wink:

Last edited:
Wow. Nice of you to call up the owner. This reminds me of the time I was resting on a rock next to the inca trail, near the sun gate, looking down to Machu Picchu ruin. I happened to look down on a grassy area & saw an iPhone. So, I picked it up & tried to turn it on, then someone behind me asking me whether I have seen an iPhone near where I was sitting. I turned around, said yes & asked her to see if she can enter the pin to show it was hers. She did it & she was so happy to have her iPhone back.

A couple of years ago, we received an envelope in the mail with no return address and a post mark from San Antonio.

Inside was what I can only describe as a ransom style note. It was in large type and said "found in the lake near your shop". Inside the envelope was a memory card from a GoPro. It had a lot of vacation photos on it.

We could not identify the diver in the pictures. One of the area instructors who did identify the diver passed away prior to identifying the owner to us or alerting the owner.

We can only surmise that someone less honest as either of you two found the GoPro, decided to keep it, but felt too guilty to keep the owners pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom