Constantly turning left feeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phishie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a new diver, (15 dives, just over 8 hours of bottom time).

Yesterday (Oct 12) I did a dive to about 60 feet. Other than my hands being cold (no gloves) in the termocline it was just a normal dive. No shivering or anything just cold hands. Good vis though so I always had the bottom as a reference point.

On my second dive though, it was my first time with low vis. No reference other than the other divers I was following. It seemed like we were continually turning left in my head. After a minute or two of this I realized something was wrong. I checked my compass and saw we weren't changing direction and found a reference point of a non-moving bouy on the bottom I could barely see. I could clearly tell we were slowly going straight but my body kept feeling like I was turning left. Almost like if you drink too much and get the "helicopters" when you close your eyes. We called the dive early due to another student getting low on air a few minutes later. I was only at 40-50 feet during all of this and I've gone deeper (up to 70ft) on most of my past dives without this happening so I couldn't imagine it being nitrogen narcosis at such a shallow depth. I was thinking maybe vertigo.

I had a short and shallow third dive afterwards with good vis and a constant view of the bottom for reference and had no problems and the feeling was gone.

Today though, looking at the monitor as I'm typing this, I'm back to getting the feeling again like my body is continually turning left. But if I focus my eyes on something far away it stops.

The only thing I can figure is that my inner ear maybe is a little out of whack or something after diving and just needs to finish adjusting? It's just annoying and a little nauseating. Not enough to really bother me but enough that it could throw off my diving if I don't have a frame of reference. I've never had this issue before (outside of the influence of alcohol anyway).

Any ideas?

Most of the time, this type of sensation is related to some trauma or disorder of the middle ear. But it is also possible to have central nervous system lesions that produce a sensation of motion or disorientation. If you continue to have these symptoms on land, and particularly if they worsen, I'd probably start with an ENT doc and get things checked out.

That said, some of us have more difficulty with orientation in low visibility than others. If your problems were only underwater, I'd suspect you are like me, and are going to take time and work to master low viz diving. You have to learn how to read a bunch of other information from your body and your gear (and your bubbles, for example) instead of trying to make the limited information from your eyes suffice.

Vertigo? Not to say anything different than the prior post. But, in flying the things you mention can trigger vertigo. If so it is overcome by training and, on land, changing the computer environment.

Just from flying experience, mind you. So, definitely not medical advise.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to Dr.Decoforum

A little current, some particulate flow in your view and a perception in your head of where you think you are heading can play some tricks.

In a good current I get the opposite effect. I feel like I'm swimming straight when I' veering off. In those situations I need to watch my compass and swim the needle.

Pete

Hello Phishie:

I am not certain about diving in particular, but ‘turning’ is a problem in the air with aviators. A compass is always advised, as the head is unreliable.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2008 is November 15 - 16.
This class is at the USC campus in Los Angeles.
Advanced Decompression Physiology Seminar Information

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try to do some dives in a low-vis but controlled environment with my LDS and see what's up with my head. If it continues on land I'll go see an ENT doc.

Thanks much :)

"Helicopter" indeed. I had a working dive where my dive buddy experienced unequal ear equalization (alternobaric something or other) and while we were hanging our first stop and during our ascent he was vertical and turning continuously. He said he felt as though he were caught in some sort of whirlpool. But I was hanging stationary next to him, watching him spin. No current at all--we were in a reservoir.

One ear being slightly less equalized than the other can give you this feeling. But I certainly defer to TS&M on this and second the recommendation for a checkout.

-Bryan

There are a number of causes of spatial disorientation while UNDER the water. What worries me is that the OP reports having these symptoms on land, remote from the diving experience. That could be either inner ear damage or something which is not diving-related at all. That's why I recommended a consultation with a physician, if the symptoms persist or worsen.

Back
Top Bottom