Considering second/backup dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have to use two computers make sure they are the same brand and operate the same.
Try to avoid getting confused with different screen layouts, button operations and algorithms.

I actually took the opposite approach. My primary computer is (or was, they are probably much cheaper now) an expensive one (Suunto D9), and a got a cheap back-up (a Sherwood). They actually run very different algorithms (not uncommon for me to in deco on the Suunto and clear on the Sherwood), but I am fine with that. Unless you are easily confused, you can just treat it is a reasonably educated second opinion. But it is sometimes like the old joke: "A man with a watch always knows the exact time, but a man with two watches is never sure."

But the main blessing to having two computers is that if you go on a liveaboard and one dies, you don't lose what remains of your vacation.

But the main blessing to having two computers is that if you go on a liveaboard and one dies, you don't lose what remains of your vacation.

I can do dive planning the "old school" way. Lucky me...
Back to class for Divers who lost those skills along the way.

Anyone who relies on their computer should assume that it will fail at some point. I have always worn two for this reason, and because I dive solo a lot. The trick with using two computers is that pretty much need to be the same model IF you are planning on using then both in "computer mode". Otherwise, they will likely give you somewhat different profiles which will be a pain. Alternately, you could keep the backup in gauge mode, but then this also requires you plan your dive with tables, and you need to carry the tables, especially on repetitive dives.

There is a reasonable argument to be made in favour of using your buddy's computer as your backup, which works as long as you stay together throughout all of the day's dives, on every dive.

As others have said, a couple of Shearwaters is the cat's pjs, but that's a lot of $$ for a casual rec diver...

I can do dive planning the "old school" way. Lucky me...
Back to class for Divers who lost those skills along the way.

I agree dive planning with tables is a worthwhile skill, but if you're doing dives with any depth you quickly run out of BT. That's one reason computers are so popular. If you diving a wall at 90' but then come back over the reef at 40', you cut your dive in half with tables. If I'm spending the cash to spend a week on a live aboard I'm not happy diving tables. But it is better than nothing.

LDS wants $300 for a wrist mounted zoop. Gotta decide if I want a more 'watch like' look vs hockey puck on the wrist.

LOL. Only took 19 posts before someone suggested buying a Petrel.

Post #2, 4 minutes after post #1, recommended two Petrels.

Post #2, 4 minutes after post #1, recommended two Petrels.

Yeah, that was me making a joke.

The op is a recreational only diver with a Suunto Zoop, looking for a backup computer. You can buy a new Zoop for under $200.

Post #19 and #20 look like serious recommendations to get a Petrel.

Last edited:
If you have huge amounts of extra cash, feel free to buy 3-5 $700-1200 computers. If you really want just backups, you can buy the same kind of tough workhorse you have, either new or used.
My family prob. owns 7 Suunto computers, most of which I bought used. I've got more interesting things to do with the rest of my money.

Unfortunately my LDS only carries Suunto D4i and D6i (small town in the middle of a landlocked state... and I'm just not ready to spend $800+++ for a wrist computer.
If they're a dealer, they can order others in the line. Vyper's are $445 list and the D4I lists for $685 without the transmitter which you don't seem to want. If you did later, watch the classifieds here, they pop-up occasionally. If Suunto is like other brands they likely only have 1 transmitter option. I've seen orphaned transmitters sell for around 1/2 off list.

No need to match algorithms if you both are diving Suunto's. Or if you're using both, no need to decide which computer is right.

Depending on how you feel about warranty coverage, Leisurepro is currently selling the Vyper Air with a free transmitter - for $549. Although it's the Air, it also does nitrox and gauge mode. They also have the Vyper with the download cable for $325. Or the D4i for $500.

They're not an authorized Aqualung/Suunto (distributed by AL in the U.S.) dealer so you get their equivalent two year warranty instead. I would surmise that since LP is not an AL dealer, they don't have any Suunto techs working for them either so in the event of a need for warranty coverage, they likely would just replace it - but I don't know.

It should be the banner ad here: Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom