Considering Scuba...safest budget gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont rush into buying new gear, finish your course, see if you are planning to carry on diving and how often (if you dive once a year there's no point in buying your own, just rent it), see the different options available to you and try as much as possible.

Most people that buy their gear during the course end up selling it later on because they were too excited to wait and ended up not diving or buying the wrong piece of equipment .

... the two lowest price BCDs do not have integrated weights. That is a non-starter for me.

If you don't like weight belts, make sure you get integrated weights.

I seriously hate integrated weights. I am very leg dense. With weight only in the integrated pocket I can't trim out properly.

I find having 2 pockets on my upper tank strap and two either in the BC pockets or in pockets on my waist harness strap gives me the ability to completely trim out pefectly whether in warm salt water with no insulation or in cold water up here with thick insulation.

I can also vary weight side to side depending on how I am slinging my pony. I'll take the flexibility of distributed weight over integrated weights every time.

Also, when/if you decide to buy a reg set, I highly recommend the Cressi AC2/XS2 :

Cressi XS2/AC2 Piston Regulator

I've been using it ever since I certified. I've had it to 130' in cold 42°F water and it breathed perfectly. I used it while doing milfoil mat rolling - muck and silt so thick you can't see past your mask and it never failed nor did it get contaminated inside. At $160 it's probably the best bang for your buck of any reg set.

If you don't like weight belts, make sure you get integrated weights. I actually bought the Divers Supply Sea Elite budget package (with the Covert regulator upgrade) and used it last summer and this summer with no problems. As diversteve said, do some searching online. Having your own wetsuit and computer is worth it. BC, regs, tanks, and weights are pretty easy to rent -- just inconvenient if you are going to dive locally and want to throw stuff in the car and go. Personally, I think the Mares Puck Pro is actually a little better and cheaper than the Cressi entry computers, but that's a matter of opinion, of course.

The amount of integrated weights that ive found laying around on the sea floor is astonishing, i dont consider them safe at all.
You just cant have something that is "Quick release" and "Secure" at the same time, even a weight belt is not ideal for it.

Always considered learning to scuba dive. Went snorkeling in the Bahamas recently and it reignited the desire. I've spoken to an instructor. His class price varies based on if you purchase some gear. This sounds like a great way to save some $$$...IF I decide I enjoy the sport and actually use the gear.

Since you are unsure of your future diving, take the lessons and make the gear decision when you decide if, and how much, diving you actually do. The discount only works for you if you continue to dive, it always works for the dive shop.

Bob

You don't know anything about diving yet.

So, do the course or a DSD (Discover Scuba Diving) and ask lots of questions. Ask other divers why they use the gear they have, borrow or rent gear to get the feel of what it's like etc. What suits one person might not work for another and there's probably dozens of permutations of various bits of gear, but foremost buy what fits you.

@JimBanville

Others have provided good advice here, get yourself a basic mask/snorkel/fin/boots setup for your course, and worry about other personal gear items later after you have become certified and had an opportunity to try a few things.

When it does come to buying equipment though..... the truth is pretty much all equipment from a known brand is safe. The features and quality of the production can set things apart, but as far as safety goes, even the basic models of most brands are safe for recreational use. Lots of dive shops and pros try to tell you that its 'life support' equipment, that they happen to sell the best brand and others they don't carry are crap, and sell you other such FUD in an attempt to secure you as a customer and hook you for a sale. I personally don't like such misleading marketing tactics, but they are fairly common in this sport.

Take some time, try some gear, find a good shop or instructor to work with. Slowly get into the sport, and most importantly, enjoy it.

WOW! I wasn't expecting such helpful responses. Thank you all very much! I did see a $60 introduction class on the LDS's website that he had not mentioned when I went in to talk about taking classes. I may just do that, and if I decide to take classes I will use his equipment until I get the "bug", lol.. THANKS AGAIN!!!

WOW! I wasn't expecting such helpful responses. Thank you all very much! I did see a $60 introduction class on the LDS's website that he had not mentioned when I went in to talk about taking classes. I may just do that, and if I decide to take classes I will use his equipment until I get the "bug", lol.. THANKS AGAIN!!!
The Discover Scuba class can be a loss leader. The shop I took mine with charges $50 for that class, gear and instructor included, but just renting the gear for a day, no instruction, is $75.

. . .

When it does come to buying equipment though..... the truth is pretty much all equipment from a known brand is safe. The features and quality of the production can set things apart, but as far as safety goes, even the basic models of most brands are safe for recreational use. Lots of dive shops and pros try to tell you that its 'life support' equipment, that they happen to sell the best brand and others they don't carry are crap, and sell you other such FUD in an attempt to secure you as a customer and hook you for a sale. I personally don't like such misleading marketing tactics, but they are fairly common in this sport.

Take some time, try some gear, find a good shop or instructor to work with. Slowly get into the sport, and most importantly, enjoy it.

THIS.

It's notable that the brand Landon is affiliated with, Deep6, is a newcomer and therefore not well "known." Yet the brand, despite very attractive pricing, gets consistent praise from seasoned divers here on SB who are well versed in the design and maintenance of regulators (the so-called "life support equipment"). So another thing to keep in mind is that there is not a direct relationship between price and quality in dive gear. Some lower priced gear is truly great. And all regulators and BCs on the market, even from less well known brands, are "safe."

As I read it, you haven't gotten wet with scuba gear on yet so it remains to be seen whether you will get the bug or not. I would definitely try at least one discovery dive or introductory session (however the LDS describes it) before committing to a course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom