Considering DG03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in the market for a wrist computer that I can wear in a bungee mount. The DG03 is a great value, but I've read a number of posts that it is not very user friendly/intuitive.

1. For those that use one, is it a constant battle to figure it out?

2. What else is out there that can be bungee mounted and is at a similar price point?

Thanks

My wife and I both have DG03s. We find them easy enough to use after reading the manual and a bit of practice (like most computers). I use it for single gas, air & nitrox only. Nitrox setup is easy. I don't use it for gas switches though it can do them (no opinion on that functionality). I also don't use the wireless air integration. It functions well as a basic "multi-button" nitrox computer. I do prefer it over the single button, scrolling computers. You'll want the USB cable if you download data for divelogs. It also makes it easier to do your initial setup (alarm parameters, alarm on/off, deep stops, etc.). The bungee wrist boot sold with it through DGX works well (easy to get at the download port). Everyone has their favorite computer. This one meets my needs very well especially for the price. YMMV.

I have not dove this computer but used Oceanic's VT3 in function. They are very similar and as AdivingBel wrote is best. Read the manual and practice. In the beginning it is quite confusing because certain buttons need to held for more than two seconds that seam like an eternity when trying to figure out a computer without reading the manual.

The only thing you will not be able to practice at the surface is gas switches because this can only be done in dive mode which I believes activates upon decent to 5ft for 5 seconds.

If you want air integrated, you can use any Hollis, Aeris, or Oceanic transmitter which can be found in the SB classifieds from time to time. The USB cable is expensive but also proprietary. You can do a lot with this computer and for the price it's hard to beat.

Hollis DG03 Manual

So give the manual a twice over.

I have used my VT3 for recreation and technical dives using oxygen mixes up to 100%. It uses an algorithm based on Bühlmann ZH-L16c and also has gauge mode. So the computer will grow you as you progress.

If you want a nicer screen such as a dot matrix such as the VT4 or color lcd as in the Petrel you will be paying over twice as much.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

We've sold a number of DG-03's to divers who are happy with them. If you have any questions I am here to help.

The computer is straight forward. The manual...not so much. Use it for a few stress free no- stop dives and practice some harmless switches like 28% to 29% and right back and in no time you will be very comfortable. Do not fiddle around with it immediately after getting out of the water or it can become "confused". Wait until it settles into surface mode.

One of my computers is an old Oceanic VT3, which I've read hardware-wise is the same computer. Can't confirm or deny; looks like it, though.

Advantages: works, a battery lasts a lot of dives and is user changeable (though not easy for me; I'm not technically inclined), you can change it, and it can log quite few dives then download to your computer. Decent display. Air-integrated transmitter option.

Disadvantages: doesn't have a color screen like those fancy OLED, but then again, isn't hard to read in sunlight and doesn't plow through batteries fast, either. Interface is not easy & intuitive. I need to review the manual on trips to figure out how to set it to nitrox. And I loathe the manual; it's like instructors for setting a digital watch.

My question to you is, what are you going to do with it? If it's mainly going to be a depth gauge/bottom timer/dive logger/wireless SPG, and the only thing you plan to change frequently is setting the nitrox mix, then sounds like a fine deal and you should be happy.

My other computer is almost the opposite; a 1st generation Atomic Aquatics Cobalt. Console, sweet color screen, intuitive interface, very nice. And I do more with it, without consulting a manual; I don't just set an EAN mix, I set tank size, for example. But it's not on my wrist, and it cost a whole lot more.

As cheap as the DG03 is, let's say you buy it, and 4 years from now decide 'Nah,' you'd rather have something else. You're not out a lot of money to try it, and you can use it as a backup computer.

Richard.

Thanks Richard. I'm a recreational diver; reefs and wrecks (external at this time). My needs are fairly straight forward...set O2 concentration, max depth, alarm limits, good back light, audible alarm, and user friendly setting/changing parameters.

You might check here

http://www.divecomputertraining.com

EDIT

I looked and it doesn't appear to have a class for the DGO3. You might PM Divenav, a member of this board and see if he has something that might work.

My wife and I purchased them a few years ago.

We found them a little hard to read in the darker murky waters we have locally - mountain lakes.

No problems in bright Hawaii waters.

In order to use them - a good read of the manual is required.
Not user friendly, not intuitive.

We used them for non-technical diving. No gas switches.

I ended up selling mine and my wife still has hers and uses it as a backup if required.

It has an attractive price point now and will function fine for most diving.

Back
Top Bottom