considering Aggressor II trip - minimum dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple of things to remember, some places insist you dive with a DM (marine park rules rather than boat)

Unless it's a full charter the sites will be chosen by the capabilities of the majority - which the won't really know until after the first dive.

I've been on quite a few Maldives LOBs - they have all had a 60 minute maximum dive time. This is in part a function of the boats need to move on to the next dive site in a timely manner. Compared to many other destinations, Maldives LOBs spend quite a proportion of each day travelling.

This doesn't seem to cause a problem.

On almost all of the dives its been fine for a buddy pair that are low on air to surface early & independently. The only requirement being the ability to use a DSMB.

But this isn't often necessary. Many Maldives reefs continue to at or near the surface - a diver low on air can simply explore the shallows for the last 20 minutes or so without the need for to surface early.

On high energy shark dives, the group tends to hook on at around 30 metres and wait for the show to commence. So the dive tends to terminate when you run out of no deco time - rather than air.

On the drift dives, thirsty divers can simply drift a few metres above the group - conserving air.

So it tends to sort itself out pretty well.

Check with the operator. We went with Emperor Divers in December (great trip), and they grouped us with folks of similar diving level. All dives were guided, due to frequent strict dive plans (lots of current dives, relatively deep dives with reef hooks, etc); the exceptions were a few simple wall/coral dives where we just mossed around, and we did sometimes end the dive alone (if appropriate), e.g. If the we had more air left. We all had DSMBs (mandatory). Usually one shot per group, shot mine a good half dozen times.

They usually group and watch people by their abilities or rather, comfort in the water.

BTW, I wouldn't consider 120 dives "very experienced". Reasonably proficient, yes.

BTW, I wouldn't consider 120 dives "very experienced". Reasonably proficient, yes.

Sure, I said we're experienced, not "very experienced". We've both been diving in cold water in strong currents in the past, comfortable at 25-30m, comfortable with negative entries, good on our air etc.

They usually group and watch people by their abilities or rather, comfort in the water

You are right.... but i have come across LOBs that use different criteria. One Komodo LOB used a 'cultural split' 3 groups 'North Americans', 'Europeans' & 'others'!

But my favourite was a Maldives LOB that had 2 groups:

Group 1: most experienced divers

Group 2: least experienced divers + photographers!

The photographers were less than pleased - but any non photographers in group 1 who had ever experienced the 'selfish photographer' underwater had a wry smile.

<<The photographers were less than pleased>> Strange they were upset since they rarely stay with any group or follow the dive plan. And so many "selfish photog" behaviors to choose from...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom