Considering a set of travel gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Questions for those who travel with a steel or aluminum plate in a carry-on:

Do you dissemble the harness from the plate? What type of harness are you using?

I leave my one-piece webbing harness threaded to my fabric plate for ease, but I'm considering taking my aluminum plate to Coz.

Questions for those who travel with a steel or aluminum plate in a carry-on:

Do you dissemble the harness from the plate? What type of harness are you using?

I leave my one-piece webbing harness threaded to my fabric plate for ease, but I'm considering taking my aluminum plate to Coz.

No, there is no need to do this. I use a single piece hog harness. Just curious, why would you consider disassembling harness?

Just curious, why would you consider disassembling harness?

I leave my harness attached to the plate but others have made mention of sliding the plate into a backpack laptop sleeve. Seems like that would be a tight fit and pain in the *** if you had to remove the harness to do it. I suppose it wouldn't be a difficult operation if the said harness was a Trans Plate-type.

I leave my harness attached to the plate but others have made mention of sliding the plate into a backpack laptop sleeve. Seems like that would be a tight fit and pain in the *** if you had to remove the harness to do it. I suppose it wouldn't be a difficult operation if the said harness was a Trans Plate-type.

Agree, seems like a lot of work for a "problem" (?) That I'm sure would have easier solutions.

Seems like that would be a tight fit and pain in the *** if you had to remove the harness to do it. I suppose it wouldn't be a difficult operation if the said harness was a Trans Plate-type.

You would need a sleeve for a 17 inch or larger laptop. A sleeve for a 15 inch will not work well, at least the one I have won't. Also unless you have a DSS system or use an STA you will need to remove the cam bands to remove the wing from the plate.

I have an Oxycheq 18lb with the soft backplate. I use this for travel (I live in Asia) along with a Sherwood Oasis with a mini gauge, some Aeris full foot fins a low volume mask, shorty wetsuit, a few small accessories and a Gopro camera set up. I can get all my gear on carry-on if I am going for 3-5days. If I go longer I take more and check some of my gear. The problem with carry-on here (especially in The Philippines) I can't carry on any thing that is longish (like strobe arms and trays even small collapsable umbrellas).

I have not had any issue with tank roll (there is a little but I don't mind it). I use a simple harness that I have set perfectly for me, I added weight pockets to the tank straps and waist belt I also added a couple of D-rings and a 1inch crotch strap and some slip on shoulder strap pads. I have no issue carrying the BCD and tank, I use the shoulder straps to lift it.

I have different gear for different situations and I really like my travel setup. It is very streamline in the water, and dries fast for the next flight :) I can travel lightly and not worry about carrying too much stuff. It is comfortable and easy to get away for a few days when I can.

Back
Top Bottom