Considering a commercial dive. career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am considering a career in commercial scuba diving. I would like any input or thoughts about this. I am single, dont mind traveling and enjoy rec diving. Most of all I need a new career path. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or opinions about this field. I want to know the things that are not mentioned in the brochure--if you know what I mean. Especially before I drop 15 grand and 7 months. Any advice would be a big help.
Thanks,
Scott

I am considering a career in commercial scuba diving. I would like any input or thoughts about this. I am single, dont mind traveling and enjoy rec diving. Most of all I need a new career path. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or opinions about this field. I want to know the things that are not mentioned in the brochure--if you know what I mean. Especially before I drop 15 grand and 7 months. Any advice would be a big help.
Thanks,
Scott

You may want to consider something more than Commercial SCUBA Diving because you may not put much if any food on the table.

Gary D..

Nobody will pay you to go diving, they will pay you for the work you can get done underwater. Diving is just the bus you take to work, what skills to you bring with you? Have you done construction? Plumbing? Electrician? Hydraulics? Do you have a background in civil, mechanical or ocean engineering?

There are a lot of different jobs in diving that could be considered 'commercial diving'. Are you interested in becoming a scuba instructor at a resort, leading divers, or running a charter boat? (These are sometimes considered 'professional diving' jobs vs. 'commercial').

Or, are you interested in working as a surface-supplied underwater welder, working in the oil industry, doing underwater construction, or deep saturation diving?

One of my early instructors once told me that a company will never pay you for diving; you get paid for the work you do while underwater, and diving is just the vehicle that takes you to the jobsite. With that in mind, you'll need to learn a range of other skills, such as welding, non-destructive testing, ROV piloting, etc. to go along with your diving skills. This is what many commercial dive training programs will teach you to prepare you for working in the industry, in addition to the dive skills you'll need.

A former student and good friend of mine went the commercial diving route, and moved to the South U.S. coast to work. His first year he spent working at barely a living wage as a dive tender, which is where most all offshore commercial divers begin. He was newly married, and spent weeks offshore at a time, away from his wife and family, in a dirty, loud, rough environment (at sea). He ultimately bailed on it and went on to another career.

That being said, experienced, skilled divers who stick with it can make some good bucks, but the lifestyle of that career is definitely worth taking into consideration. I would suggest taking the time to interview people who are doing the kind of work you are interested in doing, visiting them on the job if possible, and seeing if you would like to be in that same position. Maybe you would - and if so, go for it!

Most schools offer financing and placement into jobs at companies, so look into that as well.

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts.

- Chris

Hi scott,

Thought I'd chip in on your thread. I'm curious, whereabouts do you hail from? I might be able to point you in the right direction for information relevant to your situation.
Nobody will pay you to go diving, they will pay you for the work you can get done underwater. Diving is just the bus you take to work, what skills to you bring with you? Have you done construction? Plumbing? Electrician? Hydraulics? Do you have a background in civil, mechanical or ocean engineering?

This is an old regurgitated view - and while true (about the getting work done) - most divers I've met got started without a trade. As well - if you're talking about "scuba diving" it's a bit of a moot point. Diving using scuba limits the types of work you are allowed to do, the depths you work at, and the types of tools you can use. (at least in north america, western europe and other developed nations).

My biggest question is about your statement 15 grand in 7 months. If you're doing this for a scuba cert; it's way too much. If you're looking at full a school for full offshore surface supply eg. HSE part 1, DCBC unrestricted air, ADAS or other imca recognized ticket, then its more in line.

Anyways post a bit more info - and I can give you a better reply.

Thanks for the comments....I should have given a bit more info. This should give you a rough idea of what I am considering:

I live in Texas and would be attending the OceanCorp in Houston. After the school you are level II in ultrasonic and magnetic particle testing--NDT. They also tech you how to weld underwater. There is also a little bit of ROV operation training. They course is 30 weeks and during that time you get get a full range of diving, safety, Non-destructive testing, & underwater cutting and welding.

They also offer an Medical Technician program that certifies you as a hyperbaric tech. This is in addition to the 30 week diving program. The Hyperbaric course lasts for 5 weeks and costs an additional grand. There is also some other emergency medical training thrown in as well.

The school also provides you with a lifelong recruiting service for as long as you remain in the field. You had to have successfully graduted from the program of course, but they will help you locate work forever if you need it.

I inderstand that nobody is going to pay me to dive. I am wanting to do construction, salvage, ND testing, etc.... I was thinking that I would be able to work in the gulf. Maybe for an oil company. I really dont know. I have many more questions than answers at this point.

I understand that the schedual can be hectic but Im not married and I have no kids so travel is fine with me. I dont care about getting rich--I do want to have a nice lifestyle though. Be prosperous and be able to tuck some back for the "golden Years"

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got it right. OceanCorp is a good school.

At least you're close to the action. My advice is as follows:

1. Hop onto (www dot offshorediver dot com) and spend a bit of time browsing the forums. If nothing else it might introduce you to a bit of the terminology and wide range of personalities you'll meet. It's the american/gom-centric diver resource.

2. Peeing in cup is going to come at some stage. Might as well be aware now.

3. Commercial diving isn't as glamorous as most think. talk to a couple divers first hand if you can. Most will talk a bit if you buy em a beer.

4. GOM works on a different system than the rest of the world. If you wish to work overseas as well, try to be aware of the differences when choosing your school. Eg. ADCI tickets aren't recognized worldwide. As well international requirements for medicals/offshore survival certifications/NDT all follow a different set of standards.

Also, you start as a tender in the GOM. your job description is as follows: rigger, sender of tools, hatter of divers, choker of hose, and maker of coffee and general whipping boy. Notice I didn't say anything about diving. It's likely going to be a few months before you're trusted enough to dive, and that's gonna depend on the impression you make on your sups. its going to be a couple of years until you break out as a diver.

Basically its an apprenticeship system, somewhat informal, but IMHO a fairly decent way of doing business. Be aware that there's a large attrition rate over the first several years. i.e. lots of guys don't make it.

I've kept in loose contact with several classmates working in the gulf with Tiburon, Cal-Dive, Global industries, and Epic. (none have broke out yet ~20 months after graduation.)

personally, I'd be hesitant to shell out hard earned cash for "extras". You likely won't be using them in the first couple years.

Take a good hard look at all the options before you make a decision, and at your reasons for wanting to go this route. If you're primary concern is a stable job ,and financial security, I'd tell you to keep on walking. A similar investment could have you well on you way in a high demand trade (like plumbing).

That being said, I love my job. I dive in industrial effluent ponds, intakes, outfalls, do inspections and construction; working mostly by touch. I have lean months, weeks where a make something close to a tradesman's wage, and the odd 16 hour, thousand dollar day.

There's a huge variety of jobs inland as well, so explore all your options and if you decide to pursue a career in commercial diving, good luck. and dive safe.

im also curious on this im an electrician now trying to find schools to get into underwater electrical can anyone help on this??

2. Peeing in cup is going to come at some stage. Might as well be aware now.

heh... peeing in a cup is a standard for all mining, petroleum, haz-chem.... even large general construction sites these days in australia. even throughout the rail industry come to think of it.

anyone that is a tech, engineer, trade... pretty much anyone that isn't a total office jockey to get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom