Conshelf 21 - Safety Bulletin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eddieeffg

Reaction score
I am a newly certified diver with little experience
I have a used conshelf 21 2nd stage regulator and a us divers octopus. I have read that the conshelf 21 is a very reliable regulator. Having searched the past threads I think many of you agree that it is reliable. I recently read this NOAA diving safety bulletin that says the conshelf 21 has a tendency to crack in the body of the second stage.
I would like to know a couple things if any of you with expertise in this subject have the answers;
1) If I have my regulator serviced every couple years (I imagine I will only dive 10-15 days a year) and always check the housing prior to diving should I be REALLY worried about this with this specific unit (ie, should I go buy a new regulator now)
2) If the unit has this type of crack in the body, what will happen? will it freeflow and ruin my diving day or will it not provide air and ruin my life?
I understand that this is a life support device and I should not fool around with it, that said, if a LDS tech says its OK and many people have really used them extensively for 18-20 years, as it seems some of you have, I just want to know if I should throw it out or just be certain to inspect it frequently.
Thanks for any input

Have you had your regulator checked by an Aqualung service department? I dive 8-10 times a year and service my Conshelf SE3 every year. Best $ 70 I spend on diving.

You could call or write Aqualung and find out whether there was a safety recall and if your regulator was fixed.

Good luck diving!

No don't worry too much about it. The box bottoms on some of these 2nd stage regs did crack at the inlet, it was not a huge problem and was usually caused by the service tech being a bit too heavy with a spanner. It was also because the plastic used on a batch of the box bottoms was not that flash.

There is a good chance that yours has been replaced as the Conshelf 21 is an older model conshelf and it was part of a replacement program as far as I can recall. USD dealers just replaced the box bottom as a warranty item when the service was conducted. That program may have stopped now, but just ring a few dealers and say hey I've got a con 21 with a box bottom that has cracked at the inlet, aren't these a warranty item? and see how you get on.

CAPT HOOK:
How recent is the safety bulletin? Been diving mine for years and never had a problem.

It was a NOAA safety bulletin dated 1992 I cant remember the month.
Looking through the old threads it appears that most people that have them are happy with them.

Nothing tragic. It will just cause the reg to bubble a little at teh inlet. I had one with the same problem. If your service guy calls Aqualung they will send you a new one. It is nothing huge to worry about though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom