Connection Reset. Server too busy/down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it looks like I'm not the only one that's been having some trouble. I'm sure the hosting admins are working hard to resolve the issues, so I'm not complaining. Hosting servers can sometimes be a real :censored:
:coffee:

H2Andy:
btw, love your avatar ... though creepy
Thank you. You should see me before I've had my morning :coffee: , it's a pretty :11: sight. :D

TheRedHead:
I'm getting a 404 error at the root, not a 500 type error which would indicate an overload.

Not necessarily.. a 500 is traditionally an "Internal Server Error" would could be just about anything - usually a wayward script that crashed or so. However webservers tend to act really really strange when they get hammered including causing problems with the filesystem itself (If they are using a RAID 5 setup and the requests are coming in faster than the RAID 5 can retrieve files, that'll cause a 500 as well)

I think we all are probably having the same issues
except in my case, since I don't know sh#t about a computer, I just go do something else when I can't log on. Hey maybe I'll go diving

I can't get onto SB for a couple hours at a stretch at least once a week, I'd guess. Often towards the end of the work day (like yesterday), but not always. I assume either the server is rebooting, they're just simply overloaded, or I should just stop stalling and get back to work...

CompuDude:
I can't get onto SB for a couple hours at a stretch at least once a week, I'd guess. Often towards the end of the work day (like yesterday), but not always. I assume either the server is rebooting, they're just simply overloaded, or I should just stop stalling and get back to work...

Boy, doesn't it just burn when you finally thing of something to say!!!

Hmm

Seems I'm no the only one. Sent an email to the webmaster the oher day too.

If you can ping the DNS server ( Redhead's method of connecting to the site when down) and can ping scubaboard.com, it sounds like apache_maxclients is set slightly high... At least if you get a 403 busy error you know what exactly is happeneing. Then again, maybe mySQL is having problems with pulling records and such because of a disk failure. If they are running a RAID5 array this can happen when a disk goes down and the mirroring is taking place (Would also explain why its hard to get to in the middle of the night - prime maint time)

Anyone else have any theories? I'm sure the webmaster will let us know in short order, lol. maybe I'll get banned for being a smart-*****

They have dual servers. They are trying to integrate the other server which hosts the photo gallery, but it hasn't been succesful so far.

There is a mirror of the site at:

http://70.84.188.178/

I can usually connect to it when the main board is down. Not many people know about the other scubaboard site. There has also been an odd incidence of posts appearing out of order, i.e., the quote appears before the original post. I noticed that today. I think there are fornits in the servers. :wink:

Aha! Now that my fins are planted firmly in my mouth via lame armchair troubleshooting, I can now understand those sorts of problems. Good luck to the admins :)

I won't even try speculating on the reply before post issues :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom