Conference in Okinawa, should I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daptonema

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is very last minute but I'm heading to Okinawa in a couple of weeks for a conference and suddenly realised it might be worth getting some diving in while I am there. I have done a bit of searching on this thread and elsewhere but wondered:

a) Is the diving challenging? I'm a PADI Divemaster and BSAC diveleader with about 15 years experience on and off but it's been about 12 months since I was last in the water
b) Could I turn up with my dive computer and boardshorts or will I need to bring kit/wetsuit?
c) Can someone recomend a dive centre. I'm staying in the Nago Area but won't have a car and have no idea how easy travelling around without one will be.

Thansk in advance.
Adam

It is worth your time diving! Let us know when you get here.

We would be more than happy to take care of you when you get here. We can set up some beach dives or a day on the boat out in the islands. Pick-up arrangements can be made for you and full kit hire is no problem. If you want to do a couple days before or after the conference we can also arrange for hotel or guest house near the shop to make travel easier to -from the boat.

Water temp is 26C and climbing and viz is 10m on a bad day in the islands and usually a bit more.

Shoot me a email or give me a call when you get in.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure how practical diving will be as I arrive on the Saturday lunchtime, conference is monday-friday and fly out on the saturday (am working out logistics at the moment). There may be a day during the conference for "me-time" but not sure yet!
On a non-diving note, what are the bargains shopping wise (or aren't there any)? How do prices compare to the US? I connect in Taipei so if there are some good deals to be had there, maybe I'll have a stopover.

I just got back from Japan and this was my 3rd visit. Not sure what you're trying to buy, but I've only noticed that most things are not cheaper in Japan compared to the US. In fact, in all the countries I've traveled my impression is that everything is cheaper in the US. I guess because there's so much cut-throat competition from giant retailers and ecommerce here for all the disposable income. Things like electronics and computers are much cheaper in the US. Some things are about the same and some things are a bit more expensive in Japan, but I didn't notice much or anything that was cheaper. I was at a dive shop in Naha, Okinawa - while some things were only a little higher their regulators were really expensive - cheapest regulator was about $700 that probably goes for under $300 at a full priced LDS.

I haven't been to Taiwan - except the airport, but I suspect since it's more than just a big Chinatown - it'll have a lot of cheap knock-off LV purses and pirated DVDs. I was in Malaysia a couple years ago and that was definitely more available/cheaper than in the US.

I can't think of any bargains in Japan either - stuff here is crazily overpriced compared to the rest of the world.

does anyone know roughly how much a days diving with kit hire is and whether there is diving every day? Not sure which day I'll not need to be at the conference yet!

We have boats running everyday. We can arrange for a dive on the Sunday before the conference or anyday during the week. We also have shore diving going during the week and nights dives available upon request on most days if reserved ahead of time.

Back
Top Bottom