concusions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubbledog

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know the suggestion is not to dive after a head injury. I had a mild concussion 4 days ago and I am now fine. When do you think it would be safe for me to dive.
Thanks
woof

This is the kind of question it simply isn't possible to answer on line. It depends on what your symptoms were that caused them to diagnose a concussion, what kind of workup was done, whether you are having any persistent symptoms, whether any other injuries were associated with the accident, whether you are on any medications . . . You can see the variables.

At the very least, I would recommend a week of NO symptoms -- no headache, no dizziness, no memory problems -- before undertaking low risk diving. If you are considering diving off a boat where water can be rough or you have any risk of fall or other trauma, I'd wait for two weeks of being completely asymptomatic. The biggest lethal risk of concussion is a second head impact before the first one has healed, and even minor second injuries can be fatal. In addition, concussions can affect memory and attention span, and you should be sure you are free from such problems before heading underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom